1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

belt screeching sound with the heater on

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Metz, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Metz

Metz Member

i have an '02 gmc 1500. i have been having this problem for 2 years now. this only happens when the plow is hooked up. when i'm driving, (no particular speed or distance), and i put the heater or defrost on, after a few minutes it will make a terrible screeching noise. i will immediately shut the heater off, the noise stops. i turn it back on and after some time it will do it again. any ideas?

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

...not sure but it might be the bearing in your fan motor and the heat fluxuation may cause it to act up (most trucks run hotter with a plow on)

Just my .02, good luck:salute:

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like your blower motor is going to take a dump here shortly. They arent too bad to replace though, done a few in my day, LOL.

4. Metz

Metz Member

thanks for the quick responses

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

My blower motor squeals really bad too when its cold out i suppose i will have to replace that soon.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Mine does it also, happens off and on. Its been doing it for 2 years so one of these times its not going to turn on or work right.

7. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Also keep in mind the a/c compressor runs on certain heater settings to dry the air coming into the cabin.. You'll have to be sure its the blower motor squealing and not an actual belt squeal coming from the serpentine belt.

8. yancy

yancy Senior Member

I just had a similar problem found out it was the tension pulley behind the serpentine belt that runs the ac pump about a $30 fix and about 2 hr time

9. Monte

Monte Junior Member

I am having the same type of problem, but is yours a constant noise. The noise in my 2001 3500 dually only lasts for about a second or two, but it happens quite often throughout the night when plowing. I brought mine to the dealer, but they could not get the noise to occur. I really want to get it fixed.