1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

belt-run setup and crank pulley

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Megunticook, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

The Fisher belt-drive system on the 318 motor in my '73 Dodge is currently set up so that the pump belt is driven by the water pump. Looking at the Fisher diagram for my motor, I see that the pump is supposed to be driven directly off the crank, not the water pump, and I was told by a Fisher tech. that running the belt off the water pump is "hard on the bearings" of the plow pump. Too many RPM's, I guess.

So...I want to fix it and luckily the drive sheave for my motor is still sold by Fisher. However, I may need some help/advice on how to set this up because it looks to be like there may not be room for a third belt on the crank (right now there's a fan/alternator belt and also a power steering pump belt).

Here's what it looks like from above (I've removed the pump and belt, which was mounted Mickey-Mouse style on the driver side--I will move it over by the alternator on the passenger side where it's supposed to go):
    [​IMG]
    Driver's side:
    [​IMG]
    Passenger side:
    [​IMG]
    And here's the Fisher diagram:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, they don't show the power steering belt on the crank.

Is there going to be room for the third belt down there on the crank? Do I need to remove the second, outer pulley on the water pump? Can I adjust how far out the fan sits if I need to make more room?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008