1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belt Replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Brad M., Dec 26, 2006.

1. Brad M.

Brad M. Member
    from Texas

Hello folks,
    I had some work done by the dealer awhile back and since the replacement of the power steering pump the belt has constantly squeeked. I have never changed them before so I am trying to get a feel for what I need to be prepared for. I have the 6.0 motor in the truck. I am sure most of you know there is an A/C belt and the serpentine belt on the truck. The truck has 70k on it so I want to change them out for preventative maintenance. Any and all advice would be very much appreciated. Also should I get the OEM replacement belts or pick them up from the local parts house? Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Brad

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I have the 6.0 V8 also, but have not done the belt. I have always gone with goodyear gator back belts, they may be more expensive, but can handle weather and what ever you dish out to it longer. There should be a schematic on your radiator shroud under the hood to show you where all the loops and everything go. There should be a tensioning pulley near the alternator. You will need a socket and a ratchet or a breaker bar to move it to release tension.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I put a Goodyear Gatorback belt ("The Quiet Belt") on my truck last winter, annoying squeeks and squeals immediately and on every single startup... Very embarassing. Took it off and threw a used belt from my parts truck on it, and hung up my "quiet belt" to keep around as a spare.

The used belt has been perfect ever since.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Brad, the main serpentine belt is a piece of cake. If you make a mental note before you remove it and follow the under hood belt routing decal you'll have no problems with it.Just make double sure you check to see that the belt is in the groove's on the pulley's all the way around when you reinstall it.Now the A/C belt isn't quit as easy.The best way to get to it is from underneath after removing the front skid plate. It's a little tough to get the wrench and your hand up in there to access the tensioner but it's pretty straight forward too.I'm not sure why derek had problems with the Gatorback belt, personally I prefer them and use them on everything. Whatever brand you use, spend the extra money on a good high quality belt.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might even break down and buy the serpentine belt tool. It's a flat breaker bar setup with claw foot wrench's and short sockets. It's worth the $16 to have. I have done 20 belts with it and it can get in to almost any tensioner. After you do a few you will wonder why you ever paid some one to do them. Buy the best belts too their not something to scrimp on.

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I own a shop and we onlt use the napa belts. They also have a lifetime warrentee on them too.....Rob

7. Brad M.

Brad M. Member
    from Texas

Thanks folks, I appreciate the help. Gonna change them this weekend, hopefully that durn squeaking will go away.

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I've not got the 6.0 .... but, on the old 5.7L the belt was one part of the problem. I had to replace the tension ideler and another very small guide pulley. They just wear our and make that crappy sound.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

While you have the belt off check all the pulley's for excessive wear and spin them with your hand and see how they feel/sound. Give each one a wiggle also to check for a loose bearing on the water pump and any of the idler's.

10. Brad M.

Brad M. Member
    from Texas

Finally got around to it on New Years Day! Replaced both belts with the Goodyear Gators and that awful squeak is a thing of the past! I appreciate the advice from everyone. The beer is on me! :drinkup:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Glad you got it fixed up but I have a problem with the beer.....I can't taste it from here!!:)

12. Brad M.

Brad M. Member
    from Texas

I forgot to say that 70k is waaaay too long to wait to change a belt, even if the dealer had not contaminated the belt with power steering fluid it was still time. There is no way those belts would have made it thru another Texas summer. Take care folks...
    Brad

13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Another Plow Site Save.
    Just do this and you will be cool !