1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

belt driven western plow?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chuckodd, Mar 13, 2006.

1. chuckodd

chuckodd Junior Member

Hey guys I just purchased a 87 bronco with an older type belt driven plow. Everything seems to qwork fine just a little slow. I have never ownwd/used a plow like this. are they usally a little slow? also is there anything I should look out for or double check on it before I send it out to plow? any secrets to using it?

thanks guys...
  2. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Basicly works the same as any other plow set up, Just do not have as high an electrical drain as the units with every thing out front. Your pump is driven by electromagnetic clutch. Depending on the set up it might only be activated when you use the controls for the plow or it could be turned on off with a smiple switch. If the later remember to turn it off between jobs. You should also have a Hyd. tank some where, if it is an open system make sure the vent is not pluged (typicaly it is the fill cap) Control valve should be under hood also. "Slow" could be blocked screens/filters or low fluid, Check for leaks Had a Fisher set up for years. worked great, Hyd. always worked, unless I broke drive belt. Sold whole rig last fall, truck was totally rotted out, 19 years of plowing will do that.
  3. bird

bird Junior Member

beltdrives are great!

You haven't got selinoids, you don't have to worry about altenators or batteries! If my truck didn't have so much crud under the hood I would try to use the two systems I have.