1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belt Driven Pump Fix?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by russ130, Jan 19, 2009.

1. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Just wondering if anybody has tried some tranny additive that helps automatic trannies in a belt driven pump to prolong the life? Seems like it might help slightly possibly til the end of the season anyhow.

2. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I had Fisher pump one time that was so bad I ran a mix of STP and SAE 50 motor oil. It would moan and complain something awful when the engine was first started at 10 degrees, but it worked and lasted until I replaced it the next year.

3. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I think most of the additives in those miracle cure tranny fluids are aimed at swelling the seals and making the bands grab better. None of that is going help a worn gear pump. Like HALH said, thicker oil will help but won't flow real well when it's cold. You could also swap on a smaller pulley to spin the pump faster, that might help.

4. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Thanks guys I have 2 back up pumps just don't feel like going through the swap at the moment.

5. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I was wondering if it was normal to hear air either escaping or entering the pump when you start to pull off the fill cap. I did this and decided not to take the chance on a mess. A few days later I got back to it and no air sound plus fluid was 1/2" below full line. Is the cap supposed to be vented? Is this a sign of contamination? I'm planning on addressing this, this weekend when it is supposed to be a bit warmer, well over freezing anyhow. Like I said, I have 2 other pumps but I don't want to install it with bad fluid. To be honest if I do install a new pump and flush it I will never know what was wrong and in my opinion that would be a greater loss to me than a pump.

6. 02dmaxx

02dmaxx Junior Member
    from Pa.

Maybe the air you heard was the lift cylinder pushing fluid back to the pump due to the plow not being planted on the ground? Just a thought. I have the same set up/problems with my pump.

7. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

The blade was resting on the ground and the lift cylinder was all the way down. I always push the cylinder all the way down when I park it to protect the cylinder from the weather. Wish it was that easy lol

8. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

Ya I have the same pump and if I pull the cap right after using it there is a vacuum in the pump and you hear the air rushing in. I think this is normal.