1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belt Driven Pump-Belt repair

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mecole, Aug 21, 2008.

1. mecole

mecole Junior Member
    from NH

I have a 1990 Toyota PU with a Fisher plow which has a belt driven hydraulic under the hood. My alternator belt recently blew and i can't replace that until i can get the belt from my plow pump off. Is there an easy way to get the belt off, or does the entire pump need to be removed?

thanks in advance!
    Mike, NH
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Loosen the two bolts that are in the bracket between the pump and the block, loosen the back arm and the pump will slide towards the motor. They are generally tough to get tight again. May need a helper with a pry bar underneath while you tighten bolts back up.

I did away with the Fisher bracket and used a modified Toyota A/C bracket. Firmer mounting and allowed me to fix the pump in place and use the Toyota idler on the bracket which has a threaded tensioner. Belt was tight and pump performed better. When I get home I will post a pic if you want. Easy enough to find that bracket at a junkyard. A few minutes with a welder and you are set.
  3. mecole

mecole Junior Member
    from NH

that would be great. for now, i'll probably just leave as is, but i would be interested in that info in the future.
    I'm going to take a look tonight at it again. it seems if i loosen the bolts you mention, it would allow the pump to slide front/back, but not toward the engine. I must be wrong, maybe with another look i'll understand.

4. mecole

mecole Junior Member
    from NH

Flipper, you were correct. Very helpful. I got the belt on last night...thanks!!