1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belt drivem fisher plow will not angle either way

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by travman24, Nov 10, 2003.

1. travman24

travman24 Junior Member

Hi there everyone,
    Well here it is . I mounted my plow the other day ( trying to get ready a little early) to find that the plow lifts fine but will not angle either way. This plow is the fisher belt driven hydrolic model
    I have tried all I can think of.. Is there anybody out there who has come across this problem ? I have a few driveways to plow and I need to fix this Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!thanks i will try about anything
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

try rocking back and forth to make sure the cyl are not air bound. Also check and see if the valve for the angle function is being activated by the cable. Many times that needs an adjustment.
  3. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

all my fisher 10 footers did this last week when i tried to get them ready early( u know that never works,lol) everyone had dirty screens in the valves.i cleaned em up ,fresh fluid and no probs.hope this helps
  4. travman24

travman24 Junior Member

where are these screens located?

where would i find these screens ? i think this could be the problem. i have the 7and 1/2 ft fisher
  5. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

Check in the valve setup that the contol cables go into.Were the hoses comes out check for a big nut that will screw off and have a valve inside,usually coned at the end with a metal screen to filter the fluid.
  6. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

i had a similar situation this season.

i mounted the plow to my truck keeping the left and right lines connected. Then i just used the truck pushing against a rock (gently:D ) to cycle the movement one way and then to the other.

worked lik a charm!
  7. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Is the blade completely locked up or does it look like it wants to but it just can't. You could try and remove the cable from the valve spool and move the spool by hand to see if the blade moves. If it does not you might want to look at the disconnects. If it does move then you need to look at the cables and cable adjustment. Is this a single lever control or do you have the individual push/pull cables? If it is a single lever control make sure that the ball retainer clip on the cable is still on the hub with stud. Sometimes these studs can break or the cable will fall off. Sounds simple but it does happen.
  8. travman24

travman24 Junior Member

so far I have tried

Well thanks alot for the replies. So far nothing seems to do the trick. i have the single lever control and that seems to be moving the cables because I can see it. I am able to move the plow by hand both directions with not too much problem.I have ruled out faulty couplings because I used a brass fitting and bypassed them hooking both lines directly still nothing. it seems to make a little hiss noise when i hold the control HALF way in either direction. when the control is all the way there is no noise. I have borrowed a pressure tester that goes to 300 psi is this enough? what should the pressure be? I havent tried that yet though because by the time i get home from work it is dark (no shop).
    I am considering taking the send hose off the valve unit and look down the hole (maybe something is blocking or stuck?) is this a bad idea? thanks so much for the plow advice this is my first year.
  9. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

a 300 psi gauge wont be good enough you need more like a 2000 or 3000 psi gague for checking the lines. your pressure should be somewhere around 1700 psi but im not sure the exact number.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2003
  10. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

are the cable adjusted properly? maybe there too much slack and is not moving the spool far enough?
  11. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

The first thing I'd do is try to operate the valve body from under the hood. Move the controls by hand or with a pair of pliers. This way you can eliminate the cables as the problem.

Jeff Pierce
  12. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Moving the cables by hand is what i had suggested. The PSI should be 1700psi. But anything above 1450PSI should operate the blade. If the blade raises as you said in your first post then pressure is not an issue. You need to have someone move the lever in the cab and you verify that the spool is moving. It could look as though the cable is moving from the cab but under the hood it may not be. The other thing is what i posted earlier about removing the cable and moving the spool manually. It doesn't happen alot but the spool could be broken. Also do not rule out the disconnects on the headgear side.
  13. Gary Dwinal

Gary Dwinal Senior Member

Hi Travman,
    After reading the info you have posted here about various tests you have already performed, I feel you have one of two problems. The most likely cause is a faulty crossover relief valve on the control valve. This valve stands straight up out of the valve and kind of looks like a big acorn. This valve is not really serviceable as it operates at very high pressures is adjusted at around 4000psi. It may be broken internally and leaking all pressure directly back to the reservoir when you are trying to activate the plow. I would not mess with it other than to replace it. The other fault could be a broken spool inside the valve body which is not serviceable either, as the spools are machined matched to each valve body. Might be easiest to borrow another valve from another truck and try it on your truck just to pinpoint a cause. I would do that before I bought a new valve as they are fairly expensive.
  14. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Change your quick couplers before you go too far. They're cheap and can go bad.
  15. travman24

travman24 Junior Member

another try

Hi there guys thanks for the replys. I have tried the valves from under the hood still nothing. I think i will replace the quick couplers first if still nothing then i am gonna take the valve right out to see if maybe something is stuck inside. i notice yesterday that the atf fluid looks a little milky I think that indicates water. i was thinking maybe something is stuck internally.I priced a valve last night $375.51 holy crap! does anyone know if i could maybe get a reconditioned one cheaper or something? snow flurries on friday. i think that i will hook the lift cylinder up to the angle to see if it works is this a bad idea? oh yeah this plow is older it is on a 1984 chevy truck. thanks guys