1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belt drive pump won't pick up plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ctdoodlebug, Dec 28, 2014.

1. ctdoodlebug

ctdoodlebug Junior Member

Hey guys,

I have a fisher belt drive pump off a chevy mounted on a old homemade tractor powered by a Ford Model A. It has a fairly light (compared to a regular pickup plow) on the front, only 5 ft wide. The valve doesn't seem to be flowing any fluid from the port. The valve is a Ward, and the linkage is free and moving both ways fully. When I hit the valve for the angle cylinder, fluid flows freely.

Any ideas what could be going on? Pump is full, I tried to bleed it at the cylinder but get nothing...

Thanks!

Paul

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

First, is the pulley size the same? I.e. the pump spinning as fast on the tractor as on the trk? And did you try it at high idle?
    Next would be a psi test. I believe your looking for around 1500_2000 but I read that the belt driven ones are slightly lower.

3. ctdoodlebug

I changed to pulley to accommodate for the slower engine speed. I did try revving it up.Would a pressure test work when no fluid comes out of the valve?! I did switch pumps, I have a spare...My thought is there is something going on with the valve, out of adjustment, etc?

Thanks!

Paul

4. dieselss

Oh you said there's nothing coming out the valve, is it adjusted correctly? Opening fully?

5. ctdoodlebug

It sure seems like its moving in and out correctly. Like I said it come out of the angle ports no problem, so fluid is at least getting to the valve. Is the lift valve spring loaded? If so that could be an issue as this one does not snap back to a neutral position...

The angle valve on the other hand snaps right back to a neutral position....

6. dieselss

That I can't answer....

7. ctdoodlebug

Anybody else?:mechanic:

8. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

sounds like one of those old rocker shaft valves on the pumps. The springs that hold the valves in place are worn. do a google search for ward hydraulic valves. I think flowmatic sells them, finding someone who will order them for you will prove harder. Some of the old dodge snow commanders had those systems

9. ctdoodlebug

Here's the valve in question...

IMG_20141229_200013.jpg

10. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

you didn't tell us it was a blue doodlebug

11. ctdoodlebug

here she is...

IMG_20141116_142027.jpg