1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

belt drive pump hum

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Megunticook, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm running an older belt-driven pump on my Fisher plow, works great.

I'm wondering whether it is normal for these pumps to make a bit of noise at higher RPMs--nothing too extraordinary, just kind of noticeable hum (some might call it a whine) when you get above, say 1500 RPMs.

Just want to know if it's telling me the bearings are wearing out, or if the sound would be much louder and "alarming" if that were the case.

I bought it used, it's always made that sound. People who installed it set it up to run off the waterpump, which it did for 5 seasons. This year I corrected the installation myself so it now runs off the crank as it's supposed to.

Thanks...I know it's just a matter of time before I need to replace this pump, but want to know if it's trying to let me know it's ready now.

2. ctbob

ctbob Junior Member

if the plow works ok i wouldnt worry about it to much my pump is new i still hear sounds like that.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Just hope its a tune you can stand to hum along with!