1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belt drive MM1

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by 4wheelposi, Aug 3, 2007.

1. 4wheelposi

4wheelposi Junior Member

Anyone have a belt driven MM1? I'm wondering how well these work. I'm familiar with the old fisher belt drive systems (built-on resivoir) and they were fairly slow until you got the engine rpms up. I have an opportunity to pick up a decent looking MM1 setup that is belt-driven hydraulic and I'm just wondering if they are any better than the old conventional mount setups.

Thanks in advance for the help

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The belt drive setup were the same on many. Later Fisher went to an electric clutch pump and electric valves. I use the clutch pump on the old conventional mounts I have. IMO anywhere I can run belt driven hydros or a central system I can. It is the most reliable power you can have. I will sacrtifice speed for endurance any day.

3. 4wheelposi

4wheelposi Junior Member

I agree 100%. I have new minute mount 2...let me down second storm out with a bad solenoid....so I still plow in the '86 K30 with a speedcast. Best plow fisher ever made no doubt about it. I have the under-hood Barnes electric setup and it's never failed. I cary a spare alternator because they tend to puke over time do to the 200 amp load each time you lift the plow. I had one conventional with the belt drive and it was dismal. Maybe it needed a new pump? Maybe the idle was too low? Not really sure. I was just wondering if the later belt drives were any faster than the originals? I'll probably give it a shot because the price is right. Thanks for the insight.

4. 4wheelposi

4wheelposi Junior Member

Flipper,
    Out of curiosity how did you wire the clutch? Does it engage when you use the joystick or when you flip a switch...say when you flip the switch to goto the plow lights? Whats your experience with longevity of the clutch and pump on the newer models?

5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I wired it into a switch that gets power with the key. I wired in a vacum switch from A/C that bumps the idle up 200rpms when engaged. I usually leave it on when hopping from one drive to the next but then shut it down on longer runs so the fluid cools..

A few things I have learned for belt drive systems.

1 Make sure belt is tight. I have modified most systems to have an idler in the belt so that I can adjust the tension easier then trying to pivot the pump.

2 Keep fluid cool. Where out front pumps may freeze with belt drives you want to keep them cool. On the clutch pumps I run 5 quart rexevoirs. But at the very least I run the return line through a small tranny cooler and filter in the grille.

3 Disconnect system when not in use. Pull the belt, get a pump mate or using a clutch pump. Keeps the pump from running all the time and causing wear.

4. Change fluid every year. Same as electric pumps. Run an inline filter as well.

These simple steps keep the belt drive system the most reliable.