1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

belt drive conventional conversion

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by techsol, Feb 19, 2011.

1. techsol

techsol Junior Member
    from ct, usa

I know this has been addressed but I can't seem to find the threads....

I have a Fisher conventional , belt pump with cable valve block, what is the pump I need if I want to go to a plow mounted, electrical unit.

Can you guys point me to bolt on models? I can convert out the wiring, etc but don't know the proper pump models, since I don't have the room for an under the hood pump set up, electric or belt driven.

Oh and ps.. its for a 1996 ranger

Thanks folks!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

3. tkmack

tkmack Junior Member
    from Ma.

I have the same set up as you (belt driven pump).
    What I did (because I had one ) was install a Fisher insta-act unit on my conventional non- minute mount frame. All you need to do is bolt it on,2 bolts. You will also need the power harness both truck and plow side, and the control harness as well as an isolation module. You may be able to make it work with out the iso, but I used one because i had one. You will however need the iso if you don't already have your lights hard wired. I'm assuming you do because you currently have a non Minute Mount. You will also need a motor relay (solenoid) and a controller (fishstik or joystick).
    You will need to ground out the iso , ground the third pin from left on the #2 port on the bottom row, you need to ground this or the controller will not work. All the other wiring diagrams are here:http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/27179_070001.pdf
    What I did was to use quick connects on the Insta-act unit so when I take the blade off the hoses come with it. I kept the pulley pump installed as a back up so all you have to do is quickly switch hoses and away you go. It works well. However as I type this and start adding up the cost, even considering that you pick up a used hydraulic unit on Ebay or someplace. You are still looking at probably spending at least $700. and if your not inclined to do the work your self you have that cost to consider.
    I have looked at the Haldex unit and it looks like a nice unit, however I personally don't know anyone that has one. Here is the link for it: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_613_613
    Looks simple to install and if you can't install it under the hood I think you could fabricate something to mount it to the plow frame, but it needs to be horizontal and should be covered.
    It could be mounted in the cab but what a mess it would make if something let go.(under the hood is best)
    Good luck with what ever you come up with.

4. techsol

techsol Junior Member
    from ct, usa

Thanks for the inputs!

I was wondering if any of the fisher/Western or Meyers pump/valve/reservoir, all in one units, could be easily adapted in place of the original ram set up?

That would allow me to go to a non-control cable set up that would be cleaner in the cab for set up also?

5. tkmack

tkmack Junior Member
    from Ma.

I'm not sure If understand the question? Could you explain a little more?

6. sweetk30

if all factory parts wanted. find a fisher sehp pump. that will swap in place of the lift ram.

there is a tall version for bigger plows. and short version for little plows.

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

That haldex unit could be mounted vertically. All you would need to do is make sure the pickup is straight and then put a street elbow on the vent and mount the vent verticle. See my link where I converted a Diamond to a Fisher Minute mount and mounted my pump on the headgear.
    T.J.

8. techsol

techsol Junior Member
    from ct, usa

Thanks all.

Out of curiosity, will any of the Meyers pumps fit also?

9. sweetk30

yes thay can but need more work/mods to fit.

dont lift as tall as the fisher stuff does on the tall models.

bolt size is 5/8 or 3/4 and fisher uses 1" pins to hold the pump or ram to the headgear.

but some guys have done it. best results are with the e-47h or e-60h . the h = tall model with more lift.

10. techsol

techsol Junior Member
    from ct, usa

Thanks for help!

11. sweetk30

Thumbs Up no problem

12. sweetk30

13. sweetk30

14. techsol