1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belt change price and did it hurt the truck? (two questions for the price of one)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Dec 14, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

1) Well, I lent my grandpa my truck this afternoon to move a large christmas gift for my dad, he was doing fine until he was coming down my street at around 20MPH. He dropped his glasses on the floor, bent down to get them (while he was driving at 20MPH), and hit he shifter into reverse (auto trans)! He said the truck wouldn't start after it coasted to a stop, until he waited about 30 seconds, tried again (with it in park), and it started right up like nothing happened- shifted fine and all. Did he cause any damage?

2) I took my truck up to a shop yesterday afternoon (before the snow), to change my serpentine belt, a/c belt, idler pulley assy, and another pully that needed replacement. This, and rotating the tires and greasing the truck came ot a total of $408.90. Did I get an okay deal? Seemed kind of high to me.

2. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Why the belt and pulley change? I have the same truck with 36k on it and it sounds like it needs an idler and belt when its cold. Didnt know if you had the same issue.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

The trans question, I really dont have an answer for, but for your sake, I hope no damage was done, especially with this storm rolling tommorow!!!!

Now for the 408 dollar shop bill. Lets see, belt roughly 30-50 dollars, we will go high and say 50. Idler pulley, lets go 100. Other pulley we can say 40. So right there we are at almost 200 dollars just in parts. Shop labor is ~75 an hour. So figure 2- 2 1/2 hours labor. Then tax and the shop supplies fee (grease, tool usage, etc) will get you to your total. I am kinda pulling these prices out of my a$$ except the labor charge and shop fee. That will kind of help you get to your 408 bill. Labor usually always jumps the bill when it comes to anything!!!! So to me it sounds fair, since pulleys are no easy job, to me, to do. Plus shops have a book that has the jobs listed and the hours it will take, then they go from there. Hope this helps!!

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You could have tried doing it yourself. Those are pretty easy jobs to do to get you use to your truck. I guess if you have no where to get out of the cold $408 sounds all right.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1) More than likely engaging it into reverse at 20mph didn't cause any long term damage as the late model truck's are designed to protect themselves from "abuse" like that by inhibiting it from completing an "incorrect" or "accidental" shift.

2) Of course geographic's play a big part in prices but it sounds a little high to me too. They more than likely charged you full list price for the parts..

6. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

well first of all the truck wont start if its in anything but neutral or park, i know you said he did get it started afterwards but in park. if it was still in reverse when he tried to start it that would explain the truck not starting. i would imagine a tranny fluid and filter change would tell you your answer.

and yes that price sounds about right

7. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

So I don't really need to worry too much? Is this for sure on the 4L80E trans?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about it too much... in fact the 4L80E's were one of the first truck transmissions to have the abuse limit capability built into them...

9. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

so I guess its the computer that makes the truck "ignore" the command of the truck is moving? pretty clever (and a really good idea)!

10. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

I worked with a guy who was driving his girlfriends cavalier, or something like that, and she was ahhh.......sitting on his lap. And while she was just sitting on his lap, backwards, her thigh hit the shifter into reverse. He said the car was fine after. Just stalled. I've never shifted one into reverse myself, but I imagine it would do some damage if you were into it (no pun intended) when you hit the shifter.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sort of yes, the trans uses a combination of input's from the ECM and also valves in the trans to limit what the driver can do as far as shifting....Now the 4L80E's will actually go into reverse if they're shifted by accident, but they limit the apply pressure to help hold the reverse clutches from fully engaging to protect the trans and drivetrain from damage....

These late model trucks are way smarter than many owners realize..:nod:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

So I'm probaby okay then?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, it should be just fine..

This situation will probably make you think twice the next time someone wants to borrow your truck though right? :nod:

14. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Id say your are ok mkwl. Just chalk it up to an opps and just drive like normal. B&B knows his stuff!!!!:nod: