1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Belly Blades

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by eskals, May 8, 2001.

1. eskals

eskals Member

I seem to remember the local Road Commision using big Internationals with belly blades. But this was 10-12 years ago. They would use them to grade gravel roads and such. I hadn't thought about it much until I saw a new Volvo of theirs with a belly blade. Seems to mee that the belly blade dissappeared, and is now making a comeback.

Anybody out there have any ideas why?

Eric

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I worked for a dpw here and they had them on there trucks to get the road right down to black top after it snowed. There is really not a need for them unless your rural and use dirt roads or unluss your useing for snow removal.

3. eskals

eskals Member

There are some dirt roads left in the county, although not too many. I've seen them used for snow removal as well.

I thought it was interesting that the blades are making a comeback. Then again, they seem to be buying bigger trucks now so maybe the new stuff can handle the stress and strain of the blade.

Eric

4. Sammy

Sammy Member

I have always seen them. Did not know they went out of style.