1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Being Reduced to Rubble

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lawn Care Plus, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

will tell you what. The year started out great. I had gone from $30k of lawn business, to $90k. That did not include 40 houses to final grade.

Within two weeks to a month of being on site of these new accounts, (three properties managed by the same company) I knew I was in for a ride. The service manager is not happy to be working under a new company, and wants his under the table money from the old landscape company.

Within a month they breech contract on one account, eliminating $9k from my budget.

I finshed out the summer on the larger account, and they breech contract, and declare that they refuse to pay the final installments. There goes $11K.

Now I still have payments of equipment to service these accounts.

And well you say, at least you have 40 houses for final grade to see you through.

No Sir! I haven't seen a single house. So the tractor has gone back to the dealer. I still owe a pile on that.

I was in the middle of dismantling a private sewer plant when the tractor went back, and at the same time losing the payments on the large maintenance contract. So it is not comleted.

With all of this, my mechanic told me that my dump truck would not last through the summer. So I sold it, as it had problems. The buyer tells me that there was nothing major wrong with the truck. So I took a bath on it, and bought a new truck. I needed to have the most reliable transportation to service my derilect accounts.

Last week somehow I drifted off the road by a tirewidth, and low and behold, the phone company has a pole not less than 10 inches from the ashpalt. My passenger mirror snagged that thing and catepolted right threw the window and across the path of my face, lodging in the crotch of the dash and the windshield in front of me. My edge of my rear dually snagged the pole, ripped the rear axle right off the frame, and tore the fiberglass panel to shreads. This was my stupidity for letting the truck drift. The damage is $8k if I put a used rear end on it, and $another 4-5 for new.

So now I do not have a chance to recover from the bad accounts by pushing snow.

I AM SCREWED.

I will post photos of the truck in a day or two.

It is going to get uglier also. I know it is.

What is an honest person to do in this day and age.

Where is the dynamite imacon so someone can just blow me up!

Tim

2. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

Try not to give up, I know it is tough...hopefully you have friends to help you through these times. I am going through something similar-getting divorced, losing all my business equipment/business/everything I have ever worked for, been living out of my pickup for 5 months as she gets so much support from me I have nothing left for rent for myself. All this started when she took all the money out of our business account. I know I can make it thru somehow though, I know you can too, don't give up, as long as you are willing to work, something will work out...

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

go back to sqaure one, get smaller accounts that dont need much equipment and work your way up throught the rubble. it might take awhile but you can persevere.:salute:

4. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

Good Lord Cog-1, It's getting a little cold for living in a truck.

How are you getting on line?

I appreciate your replies guys.

See you on the other side.

Tim

5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I'm having trouble deciphering from the first post. This "service manager"....was it YOUR manager, or theirs, or what? And this Co. that breached the contract.....the contractor that is building the houses? ? Written contracts, or were you counting birds in bushes? What's all the deal about them refusing to pay the last of your money? This is civil suit material. Now, depending on how you did this,....if you have some ink involved, you may get some additional compensation for lost income due to breach of contract. There may be damages there, as well. 11k, I'd be consulting an attorney... Now, some of these other parts do not make sense to me.....You got rid of an older dump truck because it had some minor issues,.....and despite of all these other trubs going on, you went and bought a NEW one???
    Anyway, I hope you get through this alright....and yes,...as was stated before, you CAN build again.

6. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

Well luckily my business was just a side business, I can park my pickup in the lot at my other job and plug in my electric heater so not too bad (until some people find out)
    Don't give up, they always say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...wesport

7. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i had a real crappy start in the beging of the year. had a partner clean me out, lots of bills, no money. got DOTed . that cost 7K and had a jack hammer go through my toe. when i thouht that it couldnt get any worse i ended up having a heart attack from all of this. when it was all said and done there is one think that i learned. there are people that have it worse off and that you control your life. no one else does. if you want it you have to go out there and get it. may take some time but you will get there. everything that is worth while in life you have to work very hard for. good luck man it will get better.:drinkup:

8. cog-1

cog-1 Senior Member

That's for sure, somebody always has it worse than you, never give up!!