1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

being nice, not getting paid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jrush, Jan 20, 2008.

1. jrush

jrush Member
    from ct

I was looking for a company to do apps for me, I was'nt even looking to make a profit, just keep the customers happy and their lawns growing! I met a local co. (strictly apps) got his name and # also gave him a business card. About a month later he calls during a pretty big storm at 3:00 a.m (I was already out until 1 AM) he says 2 of his trucks are down, could I help him out, he"ll pay for the hours worked. I went and met him, plowed this huge commercial lot for him. It's been over a month, and I've called him and still he has"nt given me a penny. So not only did I want to give him work, but he stiffed me on the work I did.:gunsfiring: Just wanted to throw it out there, handshake agreements and being nice bites you in the ***! I should've known something was up if he was calling someone he just met at that time. I want to handle this the way I know how, but don't want him telling other co's around here not to work with me (if he has that kinda pull) and if I went the legal way I have no way of proving I did the work. Forget being nice and helping people, especially competition:gunsfiring::gunsfiring: Sorry so long, we're not getting much snow so every dollar counts. Anyone else run into this (besides crazy guys with helicopters!)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2008

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Had this problem with a customer last year. I plowed a private drive with 2 houses on it. They each split the cost down the middle. Basically I billed each house half the cost of the accually amount. Say it is 30 bucks, each house got 15, being there is only 2 house. Never seen a dime of it from one house. They said they didn't want my services. I said well you are using the road and your neighbor is paying for it, thats not right. They said well we have 4 wheel drive I can't help it they have cars. Still haven't gotten paid. This year had the other neighbor call me and ask if I was going to plow again. I said not until I get paid from your other neighbor, and also the price is going up this year due to fuel costs and what not. They never called me back and wanted my services. I was only upping the cost 10 bucks and all I wanted was my other half of the cost from last year. Oh well someone else is getting screwed this year, by plowing that drive, and it isn't me.
  3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

As my brother says "No good deed goes unpunished", not to say I don't do good deeds, but am 3X more careful when I do, those seem to be the ones where a pipe is in the lawn or somthing.
  4. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

This is when you go back and plow snow up the road until you get to the person who did not pay, and pile up snow about 10ft high all across the road, then laugh when they try to drive through it.
  5. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Yep, thats what i'd do! Just make sure no one actually sees ya doin' it.
    We've done most of our business by verbal agreement but this year we lost 3 accts. b/c it seems people think we deserve as much respect as the paperboy!
    Since they found other (cheaper) contractors we haven't had any of those really wet, heavy sno falls. But, when we do...!
    Also these "jerks" just ruined it for every one else; from now on, its pay on the spot or a season long contract. NO exceptions!
  6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Signed contract ( signature required ) B-4 ANY work is performed !!!!

I dont care how "nice" of a person you are or they seem to be.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I've had this situation before.

I say (if it's your $30 for the two) it'll be $20 to plow your drive and the road. If you can get your neighbor to chip in, I'll do both for $30, but you're responsible for collecting from the neighbor.

Now it's on the first guy to get the neighbor to commit to paying him,so he can save the $5.

Sometimes it's worth $5 for someone to collect from the neighbor, sometimes not.

If the first guy is smart, he says something like "I've got a guy that'll plow both our houses and the drive for $50, so let's split it 50/50", then the first guy is getting his drive for $5.
  8. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

You can bend over backward to help people. Just remember that the person getting screwd is usually the one that is bent over.
  9. NW Montana

NW Montana Junior Member

You billed somebody who didn't ask you to work or did they BOTH agree to it? I might pay the first time if it wasn't too much, but not after that.