1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beginner's questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow-mott, Nov 16, 2003.

1. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

I'm working for a LCO here in town ( www.michaelscompletelawncare.com ) and we just purchased two Westin 8''s for our two early 80's F250 diesels. It will be just me and my boss this winter due to most of our employees are in school and the other manager is having back surgery. The thing is this...none of us have ever plowed so we don't really know what to do.

Almost all of our accounts we push at every two inches. some a little more, some a little less. Since we're in kansas we usualy don't get all that much snow at once. Maybe we'll get one or two 6" snows each year but nothing much more.

Neither of us have a clue about what techniques to use or which way to push the snow. Some accounts are hoa associations where one of us will be in the skid loader working the driveways and the other will be shoveling the sidewalks then we may do the streets if anything over 6 is on the ground. The others are parking lots. Only thing we've come to is we're going to walk each of the properties before snow so we can have a mental map with us.

tell me everything we need to know. I realize a lot will just be from experience but we're truely clueless....

thanks a lot!

2. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

First off walking the sites is one of the smartest things you can do its always good to know where the obsticles are asfar as the plowing goes I would do some some homework chuck smith has a faq on here with links to alot of usefull threads on this site for you to read also he has quite a bit of info on his site that you can read inregards to plowing. one other thing is if you can find a copy of john allins book managing snow and ice it would be a good read and it contains lots of helpfull info.

3. szorno

szorno Senior Member

If you guys really want to do it right, then join SIMA, and get their beginner and intermediate plowing videos. Or, you can email me and come to Colorado for a training class with my guys. :D
    The videos are much more convenient though. A little training and care will go a long ways to keeping you safe and profitable. You also may want to look into ice melting with salt or granular melt. Let meknow if I can help.:waving:

4. snow-mott

snow-mott Junior Member

hey thanks for the responses, guys. I've looked through the FAQ and have found some good helps and answers to some questions i had.

We are into the ice melting aspect of things but nothing for huge parking lots. Just driveways and sidewalks...occasionally smaller parking lots on churches or what not.

Never thought about SIMA...thanks for the tip.