1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beginner Question..... help!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Phillipsbros, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Phillipsbros

Phillipsbros Junior Member

I live in western kentucky where we never get snow. However they are prediting 6-8" of snow for us tonight and tomorrow. A couple commercial accounts that we maintain the yards on have asked if we could push snow. I told them we could give it a try.

All we have to work with is a tractor with front loader and blade and a dingo (mini skid). I was planning on using the tractor on the driveway and parking grounds (all concrete) and the dingo on the walkways. What are some tips/tricks you could let me in on so I don't destroy the parking lot and my reputation with the client.

I have never performed snow removal before so any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the advice.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Spend some time marking out all of the obstructions you might hit once snow covers everything. Do it right now before any flakes fall.

Also, don't feel like it's a race. Just take your time and you'll get used to how it all works.
  3. Phillipsbros

When you're removing the snow would you try to get it all up off the concrete or leave a slight layer so you wont damage the concrete? Also, would you suggest using the bucket or the rear blade more?
  4. Phillipsbros

This is a commercial account - a large hotel chain.... and i was moved off the commercial plowing thread...?
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Iwould use the back blade and scrape as close to the pavement as you can. Use the loader to pile it.
    Push as far as you can just in case it snows again.

Guessing it got moved because it's a "newbie" question
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Like Camden said, take your time. I'm guessing it's going to warm right up the next day? If it is, don't try to get too close to the concrete. None of your gear has tripedge protection, so you could do some damage if you hit something. I would explain to the customer what you are doing, and why you plan to leave a bit.

Don't worry about being over here, most of the guys are checking all the new posts anyway.