1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beginner looking for work

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by colodriller, Jan 25, 2009.

1. colodriller

colodriller Junior Member

I drill gas wells for a living, but I work a 2 week hitch. Which means two weeks on, two weeks off. My dad farms and he bought a backhoe last year. We have an agreement that I can use the backhoe as long as he gets his work done. Anyway, I'd like to find some work for this backhoe, possibly clearing snow on my days off. I have a trailer to get it around, and it is just sitting. Its a nice backhoe cat 416d 4x4 extendahoe. Just wondering if any of you use a backhoe, I have'nt had any luck looking for dirt work things are a little slow. I live in eastern colorado not afraid to travel to put this hoe to work. Also, what would you guys charge for clearing snow with a hoe?
    Thanks, Jim

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Pretty hard to find "part time" work.
    When it snows you WORK.

3. colodriller

thank you for stating the obvious, I'm sure it is hard to find part time work, and really you work when it snows, thanks for enlightening me.

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

no need to get smart when you asked the question.

5. colodriller

I politely asked a straight forward question about your business and got a smart alek answer. I also had just read the thread "newbies start here". From an outsiders perspective it looks like you guys are'nt real keen on newcomers, or is it just fun to try to make them feel stupid? Are we all working men here? I don't treat people like that, and I don't expect to be treated like that. I'm sure it is hard to find part time work, and it is obvious that when it snows you go to work. Thanks for the opportunity, but I will look for insight into this business somewhere else.

6. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

maybe hes looking to remove snow from lots when theve run outa room. i havent seen anyone hauling snow during a storm. i dont know where you can find work or if these numbers help but the city of lowell,ma pays 110 an hr for a machine with 2-4 yd bucket. good luck.

7. Kunker

Kunker Member

There's also lot cleanup afterwards, pushing piles back, etc. Contact some local snow contractors and see if they have any work for you. Going rates are highly regional, though, so someone from CO would have to comment.

8. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

just had another thought if you tow the backhoe with a good size dump and have room on the farm you could load, haul and dump with very little over head or charge others to dump on your land. might want to stop by your towns dpw see what they have for info. and we are all "part time" i havent worked a 40hr wk since november.

9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I would be willing to bet money on the fact that Hydro, was just stating that you can't get any full time contracts to remove snow from specific lots on a regular basis when you are only available every other 2 weeks. I would have said the same thing as far as being part time. If it snows you have to be available, wether your subbing, or if you have your own contracts. I don't feel that this is a smart alec reply. It's the truth. For the record, I haven't worked less than 60 hours a week in a little over a year straight now, but my full time construction business is a little different than a land scaping business.

10. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

construction as well for me just been that slow. but its ok, obamas gonna make everthing ok!

11. colodriller

thanks for your help guys, i'm going to get on the phone this afternoon and see if I can't stir something up. The reason I thought about clearing snow, it's snowin pretty good here right now and I'm on my first day off. I've dealt with the problem of getting half way through a job and having to go back to work, we've built fence, put in some cattle guards, haul hay, little bit of everything. But I have a couple good hands that work opposite of me and we've helped each other out before. I know he was stating a fact but the way he said it struck me wrong. Thanks for your help guys. Jim

12. hydro_37

from iowa

You asked a question and got a straigh answer. If you didn't like my answer then don't get mad at me. You asked the "obvious" and I gave you an honest answer.
    Go look somewhere else and I bet you get the same answer.
    Snow plowing is NOT a part time job.
    Not trying to make you feel stupid...but the way you asked the question what did you expect??? :dizzy:

Did you ever think to try the employment forum or was that too obvious too???

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  13. colodriller

whats obvious to you is not obvious to someone outside this work. Its pretty clear that you are not part time. It's pretty clear that if your in the snow plowing business you go to work when it snows. I was asking for some advice for my situation, which maybe so far out your threshhold that thats the best you could do. I'm looking at 13 more days off and a backhoe sitting here not doing a thing while its snowing. I think the others understand what i'm trying to do. Is this forum just for people that want to start a full time snowplowing business, or is it for anyone that can push some snow. Either way, I'm not going to sit here all day and argue with someone on a keyboard. So, do I have this right...you can't plow snow part-time, when it snows you go to WORK...thanks Hydro. I hope I can go to WORK.

14. hydro_37

from iowa

Sure....YOU can plow part time. Try to get someone to hire you part time is the problem.
    Good luck in your search for work