1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Before i put a plow on

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by zjm, Dec 30, 2009.

1. zjm

zjm Senior Member

After alot of searching and reading on deciding wich plow to put on my truck,i've decided if im going to put on a plow weighing up to 1000 lbs.I need to do a few things to my front end suspension to support that kind of weight,stiffer springs and timbrens.My truck is 04'Dodge dually,ctd,qud cab,8'bed 50k miles on it.I'll do u-joints/ball joints as they wear with better components than the stock ones.I like the concept of the wideout/xls and blizz pp or sw.Plowing mostly town roads a few parking lots and while im at it my driveway.I've plowed before with company trucks but now that i own an excavation company,im looking to keep busy when it snows here.

Sorry for the long post,but if you can offer any advice from your experiences in regards to setting up my truck to except a plow that heavy id appreciate it.

Thanks,Tim

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Boss 9'2" V Plow on my Dodge CTD. I throw about 800 lbs behind the rear axle and everything is fine.

At some point I will upgrade the front end, but not til I need to. http://thurenfabrication.com/ is the best place to look IMO.

3. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Any idea what a boss9'2" v plow weighs?

4. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Boss website is saying about 850 with about 100 lbs for the mounts.

5. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

880 or something like that for the boss v plow.

i run a 9.2 v plow on my cummins and it doesnt drop the front very much.

6. zjm

zjm Senior Member

just checked my window sticker,truck has no plow prep pkg.
    cant believe i even found it,only has tow pkg.
    what do they add for the plow prep pkg,anyone know.
    truck weight is 7684 lbs,gvwr is 12200 got this off title and registration
    if im plowing alone what does this leave me to put on my front axle,front axle rating is 5200lbs

Tim

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Any "real" plow will put you over your front axles weight rating. You can't let that stop you though. There are tens of thousands (probably hundreds of thousands) of guys with plows on the front of their diesel that are "overweight".

8. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Yeah i figured that after doing alot of searching here,ill soon be one of those guys.
    Just wondering how much id be over with say a blizzard 8611 Lp,and what others have done to thier front end suspensions so i can better prepare my truck for the plow as this my first plow on my truck.
    Only thing ive plowed with before is a chevy 2500 gasser quad cab short bed with a 7.5 western

9. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

If you really want to know, take your empty truck to a scale and get accurate weights for the front and rear axles. That way you at least know how much you have left for FGAWR.

10. 09dieselguy

first off do not put any plow but a boss on there. boss is by far superior to the rest. stacks higher. has no chain bump. everyone loves them, ive never had any problems with any of mine.

i order weighted the front end of both my diesel trucks with a boss and front of both...... do a boss v plow and dont look back.

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The XLS seems like an awesome plow and I personally like the idea of a chain 'just in case". Boss makes awesome, FAST, plows as well.

12. zjm

zjm Senior Member

i was looking hard at the blizzards
    type of plowing ill be doing is 1 driveway-mine
    plowing for my town hwy dept. doing town roads
    very little stacking(i think)
    since its a dually i think no matter what i put on ill be over on my fgawr
    i just have to have the mind set that ill be doing frequent front end component repairs.
    i saw a set of off road springs that get stiffer as the front end compresses,came with shocks ibelieve to complement the springs.
    any one try'em?

13. zjm

zjm Senior Member

i have a blizzard dealer about 20.min from me
    western and fisher dealers are 30-45 min. kinda hard to choose wich way for me to go'
    Im thinking of getting timbrens first then go from there, if front sags to much ill look into springs.
    ball joints - u joints will get done with probably moogs once the stock oem 1's fail

Thanks for your opinions and help, it's getting me closer to a decision.

Tim Modine

14. 09dieselguy

you should be fine with the front end sag. my truck drops mayube a inch when i lift my 9.2 v plow on my cummins truck.

15. zjm

zjm Senior Member

do you have timbrens in your truck?