1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Before Global warming

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Jan 11, 2013.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When it did snow ,you had to push back piles for more snow. Now it snows and melts a week later.

Sorry ,crappy pix.:realmad:

snow with bulldozer.jpg
  2. procut

procut Senior Member

I remember those days, sigh.
  3. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

That was just 2 and 3 seasons ago for us here in mn. I bought a mower in Ames Iowa when they had they had record snow amounts and you wouldn't believe how many guys were thinking of buying those snow melters. The next year there wasn't much and the following year, nothing
  4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

This is not global warming. Earth's mean surface temperature has only risen by 0.8 degrees C (i.e., warmed by...) in the past 25 years, and only 2.5% of that (0.02 degrees C) warming is to land areas.

No, what we have here with the recent low snow years, is just a matter of LUCK. Its happened before, and the snowy winters will come back again.
  5. camp61

camp61 Member

I agree Jason. Here in West Mich. I can remember back in the late 60's as a kid we lived on a 2 lane Federal Highway. There were times you could only see the tops of the semi trailers over the snow banks. Road graders with very large V-plows were used to open up the back roads. In the early 70"s we had snowmobiles and at time just couldn't get enough snow to ride. Kinda like now. Now that I am oh so much older and wiser (I hope!) and plowing commercially, I see repeating history. It will snow again! We will have years with more time in the seat than we really want. Just remember all the time on the couch. It's cyclical and right now were on the down side!
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I completely agree. I know GV posted this in a joking manner, but many people believe this. And the biggest issue is the seasonal clients that think this. But yes, we will all still have our fair share of epic snow storms to come.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

My take

i thought GV was kidding also, and yes people just say global warming, because they don't understand whats really drives the weather, and climate.
    AGW - meaning human induced global warming, commonly referenced when discussing current climate change.

8. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

im not sold on global warming. the dust bowl lasted for 2.5 years.
  9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I'd love it if next year was a winter like last my senior year in High School. I spent $400 in diesel fuel alone for snow blowing JUST MY driveway. Every other day it seemed like I had to blow snow. The reason it hasn't snowed is cause a friend of mine bought a snowmobile the first year, and I bought a plow truck, thats the real reason it hasn't snowed lol.
  10. birddseedd

i think im going to look into unemployment next year. can a business owner do that?
  11. Rainer

Rainer Member

If you pay yourself a salary or hourly wage, with taxes properly paid, yes. At least in IL you can. I forget how many months history they use as a baseline.
  12. birddseedd

so would not count for a soul proprietorship?
  13. Rainer

Rainer Member

Depends on how you pay yourself. Government wants a coupla things: proof of employment, and paying the Unemployment Insurance Tax.
  14. birddseedd

does it get paid with my regular taxes?
  15. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

No you don't pay it with your regular taxes.

You file 941's at least every three months and 940's at least yearly, W2's - with the Feds

Don't forget W2's to employees, 1099's to subs along with the W3 and 1096 to the Feds.

You file form 160 monthly, UIA 1020 quarterly with UIA 1028 and don't forget your annual form 165 with W2's - all to the state.

This is of course after you fill out some form registaring for MI sales, use and withholding tax.

And them finally, you either pay someone to write paychecks out of your checking account or you pay a service fee to provide you with tax tables so that you are deducting the correct amount.

Call Aflac, it might be cheaper.
  16. birddseedd

think ill read that all again when i get home from church.
  17. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

You mean collect unemployment for yourself? How about just getting a full time job and plowing on the side? "It's not snowing, so I need unemployment checks." That should irk a few....
  18. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I try and save as much as I can during my spring - fall season, so we have a buffer for dry winters.

But it still is a stressful time with little snow work! Especially in spring with all the start up $ needed to kick off the season.
    GV - two winters ago was real good for snow, it felt like I was plowing almost every day.......sigh.
  19. birddseedd

ill defiantly look for one next year. but paying for insurance so i can have some assurance of income if i cannot find that job will be good.
  20. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Hmmmm, so you'll pay the unemployment tax through your business and then collect unemployment. I guess you'll get more back in unemployment but it seems like the long way around to just keeping your own money.