1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

?? before buying Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jec77, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Jec77

Jec77 Junior Member
    from SE PA

I'm new to this and looking to buy a plow. So far the Boss is the one I think I'll go with (any comments). Is there a difference in price if I wait and buy in the off-season?

Prices so far, 8ft Poly Boss super duty for a 99 Ford is $3,800 installed.
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

did you check out the western ultramount
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Not that much of a difference in price in less you buy a used plow. alot of people are looking to sell at the end of the season. New plows are by no means cheap you probley won't find one for under $3500
  4. Jec77

Jec77 Junior Member
    from SE PA

Yes, I did look at Western the only thing is the moldboard was not cross braced like the Boss. How does the Western compare?
  5. Jec77

Jec77 Junior Member
    from SE PA

PLOWMAN45 Did you do anything special on your F350 PSD to handle the 8' western? X-spring? Timbrens?

I have a 99 F350 PSD SC L-Bed should I upgrade the front leafs?
    where should I start?
  6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

do you have plow prep. if not id at least get some timbrens or crank up the torsion bars. you may also want to get a bigger alternator and maybe an aux trans cooler. (if you don't have plow prep). Superduties carry plows great without alot of mods so i hear.
  7. Jec77

Jec77 Junior Member
    from SE PA

I don't have (plow prep). Because it is a PSD it did not come equipped but does have trans cooler and I think the alternator will be OK. thanks for your in put:)
  8. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

yah, here is a ? or 2

how high can the blade be lifted?
    were does that put the top of the blade?
    Can the blade go any higher while stacking- higher than the lift chain pulls it.
    How fast does it drop, even with adjustments.
    How fast are all the hydro functions.

I just bought a western ultra mount- I am not very happy with it.
    hydos are slow,drops slow and I don't think it stacks as high as a uni mount.
    A body showed me a boss and I was very impressed, that will be my next blade, and all I have run my whole life are westerns.
  9. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I run a western V on my 01 PSD Extended cab and I would recommend Beefing up the front, they sit pretty low.
    I added a leaf to raise up the front on mine.
    The diesel alt is plenty big for plowing as long as you have a couple of good batteries.
    My buddy has a Boss V on the front of his standard cab (with plow prep and X springs) with no mods to his front end. It rides just about the same height as mine.
    I think the only difference on the plow prep on the diesel is the (X) springs and the steering dampener the cooler and hi output alt are standard on the diesel.
    P.S. there are no torsion bars to crank up on the ford as mentioned above.
  10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

As mentioned before, no torsion bars on Fords. Also, a 1ton truck will handle an 8ft. plow with no problems. I have a Boss and wouldn't have anything else. No problems at all. I paid $3395.00 installed. I will add though, any suspension upgrades to a truck to accomodate a plow are always a good idea.:nod: :waving:
  11. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Oh yea I forgot about that part thanks.[​IMG]