1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

been plowing all year with no 1st gear

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by murphy4trees, Jan 23, 2011.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

2000 F250, 7.3 l powerstroke diesel... I was out of town, but the trans,which had been acting up finally gave out.. no way to get it into first, must manually start it in second, then pop it up into drive once it gets up to speed.
    Snows have been light so far, all under 6" and I put $720 into new snow tires just before the season started, so the driver has been able to plow in 4 low, starting in second gear, and the trans is holding so far. This truck does the bulk of the commercial contracts and has the salt spreader too, so its a crucial part of the operation. i could drop a quick rebuild in for $1800, but I don't trust a stock rebuild and would rather put a real heavy duty transmission in her. The truck definitely earns its keep, so I wouldn't mind spending some $$ on her.

Thinking of putting in a chip and getting a real trans built for her. Any suggestions as to where to get the chip and tranny and any other considerations or advice.. the truck pulls a 5,000 lb trialer most of the time in spring-fall..

2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Look into Riffraffdiesel.com and John Wood trans.