1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Been Around Now Looking

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CrimsonSnow, Sep 5, 2013.

1. CrimsonSnow

CrimsonSnow Junior Member
    from Midwest

I am looking at purchasing my own plow truck. I have used a 01 Ford F150 for the last 3 winters(A Friends). It does ok, to light with not enough tail to really push.
    I know there are brand favorites in trucks but what Im looking for is an opinion on what truck model to stay away from.
    I am looking at 2 trucks right now,
    03 chevy 2500hd with 197,000 miles, no plow for $7800
    and
    99 F350 with a V10 and 220,000 miles with a 9' Hiniker V plow for $8000.
    Any other suggestions or advice would be great. I really do not want to invest in something a seasoned veteran would not even waste their time on.

Thank You.

2. doomxz670

doomxz670 Junior Member
    from 45459

My main business is buying police seizure vehicles that have never really been maintained or taken care of, I've had lots of
    F150's and f250's with the triton motors and we never have anything but trouble with them, we have 7 gm trucks between tahoes, silverado's and gmc's and there 5.3 and 6.0's have been awesome to us, hands down we have way less problems out of the Chevys and these are all vehicles that have had about even past treatments. My 04 silverado 2500 with 160k miles is 10x better then our 06 ford

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of it comes down to how it was driven and maintained. If you can and if its possible try to buy a truck you know, that way you have a good idea what its life has been like. Personally, and this is just my .02, I wouldn't buy either of those trucks you mentioned. Anything with 200k on it is just asking for problems. There's a ton of people on here that'll tell you "oh get a diesel, it'll run forever". Well that's all true and fine but the truck still won't last much longer. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

4. CrimsonSnow

CrimsonSnow Junior Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the reply's.
    I am not sold on either one of those. I read through some of the comments about Chevys' transfer case issues and something else about Fords.
    I do know that if I can buy something from someone I know that has not abused it would be great, so far no finds.
    Winter may come early and stay for a while, just want to be ready.