1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beefing up a front end

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Jim74, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Jim74

Jim74 Member

Im looking to put another plow truck together and ive been looking at some older 7.3 diesels witn a supercab, 4WD ext; Ive had 5 of these trucks which i love but went with a 6.0 diesel 2 years ago. Zero problems yet(knock on wood)with the 2006 but want to go back to old reliable with the next truck and dont have 50G's plus to go new. Heres the ?, the fisher dealer tells me that I cant put the XV2 V-plow on the older truck per fisher recomendations and they wont tell me what I should do to the front end( even though Im pricing a v plow and poly sander for the truck) because of warranty issues so what should I do to the front end of this truck to make it legit if I go this route. Thanks, Jim

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Do a cash and carry, install it yourself.

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Heavier springs (maybe) and install the plow yourself. The dealer is covering their own arse.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I believe they are F code springs That's the 550 front springs
    Ford never did a plow prep on the super cab 7.3. It was only available on the crew cab 7.3.....so just fyi

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

And yet the super cab or extended cab is a (IMO) more practical plow truck than a crew cab.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Totally agree....

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IT's not a warranty issue, it's a federal regulations issue.

It's not just springs, and there's nothing your dealer can do (or advise you to do) that will change the regulations laid down by the FVMSSA regarding acceptable plow installations. You need to change the trucks balance so a) there is no more then 62% of the trucks weight on the front axle with the mount installed. B) increase the front axle capacity to handle the weight of the installed plow. Check the axles assemblies on your truck, see if they are rated (by the manufacturer not the door sticker) to handle the weight and if not change the entire front end assembly (including axle.) None of this can be accomplished by simple air bag or timbren installation.

Or you could just do it. Add a s pot load of counter weight in the rear and replace front end parts as they fail. Of course you will be disregarding a whole bunch of Federal regulations but that's your prerogative just don't expect a dealer to assume the liability for you.

8. Jim74

Jim74 Member

Thanks for the reply guys, I would put a sander in it to so that would help with the balance issue so it looks like I need to do some axle homework on the truck. Doing it myself makes me nervous, I have hammer hands so me and electrical wiring usually don't get along.

9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Wiring is easy. Just splice high low and both markers. Red wire goes in key power. And that's about it

10. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

They are x code springs. But legally you will be over weight still. I ran a 92vxt on my 7.3 250 all I did was add a leveling kit which really did nothing but raise the front end a little. You can run any plow you want but expect to do a little more maintenance on the front end every season. If you cant do the install have them or another dealer do the truckside mount and wiring and go buy just the plow cash and carry. What trck it is on shouldnt affect the warranty of the plow

11. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

last season I cracked a front leaf on my f-350 with my xls, I kinda blame wear from the old blade, and ****** I-84.