1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beef up charging system 2006 GMC

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by searay220, Dec 23, 2008.

1. searay220

searay220 Member

I want to beef up the charging system in my 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew. I get worried when I see the major voltage drop when using the plow. Has any GMC owners gone to the dual battery and high output alternator? If so what did you do and where did you get it? Is it keeping the load up.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I would be interested in some responses. Last year I put in a High output alt and the biggest battery I could fit. It seems to keep up OK, but its not enough. I have to charge up the battery after long nights to keep it alive. I would like to see a double alt over a double battery.

3. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

I thought the 2500HD already had the high output alt.

4. searay220

searay220 Member

I honestly don't know if it does or not. I just know the voltage drops alot when operating the plow.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The plow pump draws 100 to 300 amps when running. This will cause the voltage to drop. the voltage should return to normal when the plow pump stops running.

A slipping belt can also give you a low charge rate

6. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

the volt meter drops slowly on my dodge 2500 but comes right back up

7. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

I have an 06 Chevy 2500HD with a Western Ultra. The gauge hardly moves. It does have the dual battery's though. Not sure about the alt. size, it has plow prep so whatever comes with that.

8. eshskis

eshskis Senior Member
    from 4

hey do you have a better picture of your jeep?

9. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

The HD has I think a 110-120 amp Alt. I found one that claimed 150-160. Anyone care to show their under hood dual battery setup. I have everything to do it from another truck I never did install it on. Not really any room for one though. Not interested in routing to the rear or cab.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I will try an take pics of my f250...It's got a dual battery setup I can show you.

I would really like to fiqure out what alt it has though..

11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

if you go to the chevy truck section, they made it a sticky with the duel batterys with pictures.