1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bedside extenders

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by farmerkev, Oct 11, 2008.

1. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Id like some pics and info on making some sides for my truck. I want to extend the sides maybe 2'. Any pics to go along would be nice to give me ideas also.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

well more info on the truck and whats on it body wise would help. or pics of truck. just an idea.

3. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Its a stock 1996 Chevy Cheyenne 3/4 ton. 8 foot box.

4. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I guess my question is what to use? What type of lumber is everybody using, pretreated, or just painted or sealing yourself? Im thinking of having a 1' tall board run the length, and then another board the same height, only make it shorther to taper at the end.

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I am try understand. You say that bed on truck have those 4 hole where you put stake in it?

so you could have wood on top of bed? Like you try put lot stuff in it but wood help more room to pile?

That what you try say?

Keep mind I don't like it why because here Michigan have this and it is scrapper guy do this because they try get more scrap fit it plus it ugly than you think not pretty wood it look garbage wood.

I do like if it look pretty wood like red oak with wood stain paint it would be better than scrapper use paint wood on it.

6. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Yep, thats exactly what I want Mil. I want to paint it white or have a nice stain on it. I have scrappers around here who use junk plywood pieces for sides, and it look very ugly. I want it to look good.

7. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

8. Milwaukee

I understand now. I agree that scrapper use ugly wood.

Do you work with wood lot? For me I have little patient but it require much work plus red oak are not cheap to buy because it good wood.

and that guy build wood on F250 is nicest I have see. i can't say but is wood pine?

9. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

milwaukee - i believe its pine again im not sure- either ill find out or he'll post here before i do,

10. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Actually Mil, I do work with wood a lot. I have a small shop in my basement with a few pretty good tools, and next year I will be going to school for carpentry.

11. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Yea, Im sure its pine.

12. Milwaukee

That great.

I have wood shop in High School. I can do very good job with someone tell me what to do but for myself it worst.

Plus I am very bad with measure on wood so I have someone show me measure then I do myself when someday I need then i forgot again.

I don't know but are you plan leave all years? or just get off when don't need? And it would be decrease mpg if wood cause airflow like you see F350 with those flatbed or white box that are wide than cab?

Do you have 6 holes for wood stake in it? What paint you plan use? Wood stain? And pain with those stuff that are clear but thick like shiny? I think it start with P word.

13. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

My bed has 4 post holes. I dont want one as tall as the one on the F-250, and I also dont want a piece on the front. I think Ill just use some cheap pine or something, and paint it with white barn paint.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You may need a peice or two across the front to hold the sizes straight. I think if you just put the 2 sides on with no brace connecting them they would be quite unstable and push out once you put something in the bed that pushed against them.

15. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I shouldnt be putting much anything with weight in there, but you are right, Id like to make the front piece so its not attached to the sides permanately. Time to do some thinking.

16. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

I never thought it through, but I have 4 stake pockets. Anyway, its all done, and I painted it white. I decided to go with one 1x12x8 instead of 2 1x8x8's. I like it.

17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

You have any pictures?

I made some sides for my truck out of plywood with a piece at the front of the bed. I admit it doesnt look that great but it gets the job done and I built all the sides for under $15. Plus there only on the truck when im doing a lot of landscaping which isnt much anymore. They are preety tall. Taller than the cab of the truck.

18. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

My camera broke a while back, and the screen is broke, but Ill see if I can still get a pic. They are nothing special, but I think they are ok.

19. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Here they are.

DSCN3064.JPG

20. farmerkev

farmerkev Senior Member

Anybody? I even washed it before the pic. xysport