1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bed type spreader question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bison1973, Aug 26, 2007.

1. bison1973

bison1973 Member

I've got a tailgate spreader in which i use bagged salt. I'm thinking about going to a larger bed type spreader. The question I have is.... how do you load it? Do all of you who have the larger bed spreaders have your own place to store bulk salt and then a loader/skid steer to load it up? If so, that's alot of additional cost(bulk storage & loader) to move up to a bed mounted salt spreader.

Thanks for your input!
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

In our area there is a salt depot. It is open during all snowfalls and even if snow is forecasted. We pay $63/2200lbs delivered and if you pick up from these guys the price is $75/2200lbs. You have to spread everything you buy as you can not leave salt in the salter for the next event.
  3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

it is cheaper to have it delivered or do you have that backwards?
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Delivered is cheaper but minimum order is 40 tons. You can pick up as little as you need. Our shed will hold 150-200 tons depending on what you have to pile it.
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The salt depot is just redirecting the loads to you, from Cherry St or the mine I am assumming. Wow we buy our salt direct from either Cargill or Windsor and we pay around the same price as you. We don't buy any salt from any depots but for you $75 is a great price!

I don't really see anybody around here using bags for parking lots. Most guys just fill the bed with bulk and shovel into their tailgate spreaders. Having your own bulk and loader is only cost effective when you get to a certain size and that's something you have to figure out. You also have to pay for the hole load instead of what you need. We have 2 Cover-Alls now for storage but we use to just use big round bale tarps with skids to hold them down, The tarps are a pain but work well and the salt always kept well when tarped untill the next year.
  6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I pick up my own salt, with my dump trailer. Around 5-7 tons at a time. I pay $32/ton My tailgate salter hold about 1000pounds of salt. It's not fun loading by hand. Next season Im picking up another large lot. I'll get getting a V-box and a bobcat to plow with and load salt.
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The salt depot charges us $2 more then he pays and you are right, trucks to our yard instead of his. We bought from Canadian for years. I just got this years price $63.50/tonne. Last year we got it from Cargil $1 or $2 cheaper but drier and better. They also supply bulk clearlane for us, $79/tonne and 25 tonne load.