1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bed swap question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by IHcubman, Oct 27, 2003.

1. IHcubman

IHcubman Junior Member

I have a 1987 V-10 short bed fleet side truck. The bed has had it. My father-in-law has a newer style (1998, 1999) 2WD short bed step side truck who’s motor is shot. He will give me the bed. I’ve seen a few of these conversions (2 actually) but I’ve never talked to the guys who had them. Has anyone here done this? My father-in-law thinks it basically a bolt-on swap. I don’t think it is, but I’d like to hear first hand how difficult a job I am facing. Thanks!

2. tileman

tileman Member

First what is a v10 or did you mean a c10.
    If it is a c10, and a 1987 and you want to install a 1998 of 1999 the frame rails are different on the two trucks. the bolt holes will not line up. It can be done , drill new holes. also the bed is not as wide at the back as it is in the front on the later model truck.

Tileman

3. IHcubman

IHcubman Junior Member

In 1987 (only I believe) Chevy changed the designation from K-10 for 1/2 ton 4WD to V-10. The 2WD models which used to be called C-10 went to R-10, or some goofy designation like that.
    The bed from my father-in-law's truck is a 1988/99 and it was his belief that the rear end of the frame didn't change significantly when GM went to the new body style.

4. tileman

tileman Member

The older truck pre 1988 frame is 34" wide outside, the newer frame is 37" wide outside.
    You will have to drill new holes to bolt bed to frame. Thanks I forgot gm change all the letters on the trucks, most times just call it a 1500, 2500, 3500 two wheel drive or 4 wheel drive.

Tileman

5. IHcubman

IHcubman Junior Member

Thanks for the help. I figured it couldn't be as simple as "bolt-on" but it doesn't sound impossible.