1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bed Removal

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by FordFisherman, Feb 25, 2009.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Anyone ever remove an 8' Ford bed? How difficult is it? I've pulled motors and trannys but never a bed. Any help appreciated.

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've taken off 2 superduty beds and 1 chevy hd bed. The beds on the 99+ superduty's come off very easy. 8 bolts on the top, the lights, and gas filler neck and it will lift right off.

3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

If you can pull motors and trannys, a bed will be a piece of cake for you, I just did a 8' chevy today to replace a fuel pump only took about 30 mintues to remove and about 30 minutes to reinstall. An impact will make the job 10x easier, make sure you have enough extensions to reach the bolts.

4. FordFisherman

from 06611

Yeah, I was just crawling around under the truck, looks like I'll need a torch. Rust never sleeps.

5. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Beds are easy, like Abes said! just dont damage the gas plumbing! I've taken the bed & cab completely off a Chev S-10 along with everythin else!

6. FordFisherman

from 06611

Good deal- thanks. Feel like a rookie with the body work, gonna take a crash course.

7. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I've swapped out F-350 beds two times now. Both were 2000 model year. As mentioned above the swap is easy. Sometimes the bed bolts can be a bit of a PITA to break lose. You may want to have a couple of spare T50 torx on hand in case you break one. It's also nice to have 3 friends to help you move it. If nobody likes you ;) it can be done with a backhoe or mini exc. if you use the interior tie downs (at the corners) for the lift points. Hopefully you have at least one friend for this as it is good to have a spotter for alignment. Be carefull with the new bed. The bottom of the bed is very flimsy and can bend easily. Look under neath it. You will see that they employ small rod type braces to help the curved portion retain it's shape. If you have not already picked it up I would recommend transporting it upside down. The top bed rails are flat and much stronger than the bottom. Good luck.

8. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

You can actually utilize your engine hoist to lift your bed. That way you don't need to buy 30packs for everyone who helps you and don't have to worry about hurting your back. Just make a simple frame out of 2x4's that lift from under the bed rails and connect a chain to them. I decided to give you a scale model example....

DSC01164.jpg

DSC01163.jpg

9. FordFisherman

from 06611

Nice model- thanks.

10. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Awesome toy you got there MATTYK. I hope you didn't build the whole model for this post. :dizzy: If you did than you must have less snow to move than we do (which is just about nothing since December). By the look of the photo you don't even have a scale inch. It's good to see the return of the hobby. ;) Boy I'd better find some work to do soon. Obviously I have too much time on my hands if all I can do is tease people on the web. Nice demo MATTY.

11. MattyK

MattyK Senior Member
    from Boston

haha unfortunately i did not build the actual truck, just merely cut some card stock and placed it in the bed. the miss' bought me that when i still drove my dodge 1500 cause the 350 powerstroke was my dream truck and she wanted me to have one. i would've rather her buy me the full size one. we haven't had much snow in a long time either. had i known i wouldn't have put $534 into my plow after the last storm. haven't dropped it since.

12. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

from your comment about rust never sleeping, i will give you a hint.
    you will break the torx sockets instead of taking the bolts out.
    been there, done that 3 times.
    get a grinder, and grind the heads off the bed bolts.
    i have done 3 bed removals 3 times so far, and only had 4 of the 24 bolts come out. but i broke 7 torx sockets so far.
    if the bolt don't come out rite away, i just break out the grinder.

once you lift the bed off with the engine hoist,(this is the best way i have found to do it so far if you don't have an overhead gantry crane)
    you can cut the strapping on the frame nut, and the bolt will then fall out from inside the frame.
    new bed bolts and nuts are around $12 each from ford.