1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bed Parts

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nachoschevs, Feb 2, 2004.

1. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

Hi all,
    I put up a post in the General section as well and it did not get to many replies, so I figured I would try in the Chevy disscussion since the truck is one. I am working on putting together a bed for my 82 chev truck. I have been looking around on the net for bed parts ie.( tailgate, bedsides, front bed piece, inner wheel tubs, the long frame type things that run the across the bottom of the bed, and anything else). I have only found around 3 different truck catalogs that I can get some parts from. I am looking for the best prices on them before I order. I have found LMC which I have ordered from, also found American classic chevy, chevy duty and one other I forget the name of. I was wondering if any of you guys know of any other company out there that has good parts for a fair price. Thanks for any of your info.
    Nacho

2. loomis

loomis Junior Member

This may sound bogus, but try JC Whitney they usually have some body parts. Not sure though. Also you might want to try your friendly local junkyard, anything can be had there for a price.

Hope this helps.:waving:

3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

4. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

You might be too far north to find a relatively rust-free bed in the junkyard, but that's what I finally ended up buying. If you buy any significant number of bed parts, the total will be quite expensive. I found a nearly rust-free bed with tailgate and paid only $135. I unbolted both beds and the junkyard used a forklift to pull mine off and set the "new" one on the truck. I had the whole truck repainted later on, and bought a new set of bed trim from LMC.

I did buy fenders and hood from a local supplier (don't remember the name), and there was a competing place that was called "Crash Parts". They were listed in the phone book under auto parts, and sold new replacement body panels for older vehicles. My fenders were $38 each and I think the hood was about $120. JC Whitney sells the same parts, but shipping could get expensive.

Bruce
    San Antonio, TX

5. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

Thanks alot all,
    75gmck25, I looked at used beds that have been brought to Pa from Texas and the best price I could get is around $900. Like you said it is close in cost to get a good southern bed as it is to buy parts. I just remembered that there is a big truck show in Carlisle so I may get a good deal there. Thank you all for the info. If anyone else knows of a good place just post away.
    Nacho

6. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I didn't realize they would charge that much for a bed transported from Texas.

In most of the Pick and Pull yards here you can get a 73-87 truck bed for less than $150-175, and the condition doesn't really affect the price that much. The one I found had some old grey primer on it and was missing all the trim, but was otherwise in good shape. It was priced the same as the beat-to-hell beds on some of the wrecked trucks. I did all the work to unbolt it, so the yard only had to lift it off wrecked truck.

Another thing to watch for is the slight differences in trucks from year to year. I ended up with an '81 bed for my '75, so I had to go back and get the gas filler tubes and the wide tailgate trim panel to fit the '81 tailgate.

Bruce

7. nachoschevs

nachoschevs Member

75gmck25,
    Makes me wish I was down in Texas right now. I would buy a bunch of beds and bring them back to PA for that price. Yea, I had to think about that to. They look the same, but some of the parts are different. I am not to sure what I will be doing now. Maybe make a trip to a state a bit further down and check their prices. Thanks for the info anyway.
    Nacho