1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bed liners

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Clover Leaf, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Clover Leaf

Clover Leaf Junior Member

Need some opinions, who has every sprayed their own truck beds with a spray-on liner add which one is the best . Thanks

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Whey you say.... "Spray their own truck beds" do you literally mean that they did it themselves, or had a shop do their truck ???

Big difference, and probably not many out there that did their own truck....

3. Clover Leaf

Im sorry I mean owners doing it not a shop. got a quote from shop in town 800.00 just seems a bit pricey.

4. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I paid about $600, and it was worth every penny spent and then some.

If you get the right shop to do it, it's worth it. It's all in the prep work. This guy spent nearly 5 hours sanding, cleaning, sanding and taping, and I couldn't be happier...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It actually took him about 15 minutes to shoot the truck. The other 5 hours was spent in prep work.....

5. Clover Leaf

Thank your I think your right I just need to keep looking for a shop to do it for me ! So thanls

6. Clover Leaf

Sorry for misspelling. Thanks

7. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Do yourself a flavor...

Tell the shop you have to "hang out" during the install. This way, you get to poke around, both in the shop, and in their heads when they do the work. You get to kind of "babysit" to make sure they're going to prep the job right.

The guy who did mine was the "owner" of the shop. He didn't have a bunch of ******** jump on the truck and pretend to do what was right. He did it himself. He was really anal about how it was supposed to turn out...

I got lucky. I think whether or not I was hanging around all day, I think he would have done the job right. He's like me.... in the sense that he hates "call backs"....

You need to visit the local shops PRIOR to making your decision. I went to 3 different places and ultimately chose the guy I did. I didn't like Rhino liner as I saw a truck that had it sprayed a few years back, and it looked like crap. The black finish had turned to grey and it was soft and mushy to the touch. Rhino has different versions of their spray liner and you have to specify what you want. I dump cinder blocks in my bed, and a bunch of other crap. I wanted it durable, and the rhino just seemed too flimsy. Linex was my choice as I had seen the product years after its install. It was slightly lighter, but it still was very hard and stout, and I know it could take abuse years later..

Hope you find the right outfit...

8. Clover Leaf

Thanks yours looks really good Ill try to remember Line-x

9. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

I used DupliColor Truck Bed coating on my '02 Silverado and a buddy's off roading S-10. We did the S-10 first using the DIY roll on kit they sell in stores like Auto Zone and what not. We learned a few things before I did my Silverado.

1) Do way more prep and sanding than they tell you to in the kit. (I spent about 3 hours prepping).
    2) Spray it with 2 coats first, then roll on the last coat or 2. Spraying gets better base adhesion and will make it less likely to chip, but rolling it on really gives it the tough texture you want to make it anti-skid.
    3) Buy more than they tell you. You want this stuff to be thick in order to last. I went through under 2 gallons for a 8' bed.
    4) Plan this out way ahead and find a good indoor space to do it. You need to let it dry for several hours in between coats. This was not a 1 day thing. It was a weekend project.

My Silverado came out very well and it held up very well for the 3 years that I had it after I sprayed it. Just take your time and make sure to do it right. And not the best pic, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  10. Clover Leaf

Thanks guys

11. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Didn't go with any kind for our trucks. Went with a plywood box liner. Made it super easy to shovel materials out and I wont dent my inner box or wheel wells.

12. Snoviper

Snoviper Senior Member

I use a bedrug and love it, materials and tools do not slide around. It is also easy to clean. It also cushions anything that is fragile. It protects the bed and is easy to install. Not sure how easy it would be to shovel material out,haven't done it yet. I am planning on picking up a yard of topsoil in a couple weeks so I will let you know.

13. Mitchplows

Mitchplows Member

Line-x and a bedmat is the best way to go. Not the cheapest, but the best protection