1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bed crossmember repair

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pipelayer, Oct 17, 2016.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

ok all, i know this is mainly a superduty trademark, but i guess it applies to chevy/gmc guys as well. well, heres my question, where can i find bed rail crossmembers for this truck, its a 2006 gmc sierra 2500hd shortbed and i cant seem to find replacement rails anywhere. there are univerals, but i dont know how well theyll match, which is important to line up body lines between bed and cab. next, the only OE replacement is the rear sill crossmember which does me no good. has anyone ordered the universals from a place like rock auto or parts geek? are they decent? am i better off going my own route and having someone with a brake, re-make one i can salvage? that was my final option and i think my best one if nobody has any leads on replacement crossmembers...these are the ones that are stitch welded to the bed floor underneath, not the frame ones..

2. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

Possibly LMC truck. Not sure if they have bed crossmembers but worth a look.

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Not sure what you are looking for. The truck frame cross members, or the bed supports. Post a few pictures of what you need.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Depending upon how bad the bed is, wouldn't a whole bed be a better option? If that's not an option, why not just get square stock from a steel shop

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

I see now, been welding rust on a dump body for four hours. Theres used beds out there, Craigslist. Or get a nice aluminum flat bed for it. If your handy, make it dump.

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

If you are looking for material. Go see Bill at Kettleworks in Stratford(Lordship area). They sell to the public, no minimum and will cut what you want.

7. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

TJ, I will most likely do that, my other option was Logan steel up in meriden. I assume you have a brake, if so can I hire you to make these up for me? I'm right in Milford, I'll get the bed off, and cut the sections out, and get you the most salvageable one, which really doesn't need replacing, but it's a do it once do it right kind of thing, I'll replace all while the beds off.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have a brake but not wide enough. My question is: why do you need a brake. What size is the material. Just find tubing size that matches the size of the crossmember pieces. Maybe I am over simplifying this. Take a pic I guess. I am hammered on side stuff right now as well. I will help you out all I can if I can.
    Thanks.
    T.J.

9. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

i wanted to make the repairs as factory as possible, with heavier gauge steel. i could go the square tube route also, but it would have to be spot on to the height of the crossmembers now. i was planning on buying a sheet of 14/16g steel and having it ripped and bent into the factory crossmember shape.

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Measure what you have. You might be surprised what is out there. Worst case would be to buy angles and weld them together to make the dimensions you need.