1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beat this stacking photo!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by snowfighterG, Feb 24, 2003.

1. snowfighterG

snowfighterG Member

We use our 3/4 ton Sherman tank as we call it to push back banks & piles. Who has a photo that will beat this one! I think my employee thinks he has a rocket ship!

2. PAPS Landscape

PAPS Landscape Member

Nice photo....

but, I dont stack snow... thats what loaders are for = more $$$ and less beating on the trucks.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Cool picture! I stack about as highas the cab of the truck,it i need it higher out comes the loader.
  4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Chevy trucks baby!! Hehe. :drinkup: Mike
  5. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

now i'm sure you wouldn't see a ford or a dodge doing that. :D
  6. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

No Snow

Can you do that with snow in front of the plow?
  7. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

Here is a ford stacking it.

internet pictures 035.jpg
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

SNOW G...Nice pics!................Lots of white gold this
    year in central NY huh?
    Its either feast or famine guys.......................geo
  9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I can w/ a V in scoop.
    BTW: Nice ramp, not very high tho.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2003
  10. snowfighterG

snowfighterG Member

That's what I wondered hyperpak...

It does look like he is just driving up a mountain doesn't it........good one about the no snow hyperpak.......:)
  11. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

The way it works (without killing the truck) is to have the pivot point of the plow as far back and high up on the truck as possible. That way you front tires ride up the pile before your plow mount digs in. So actually Chevys are the worst at riding up piles because of the IFS. Therefore a straight axle Dodge or Ford works much better. That is, if you make your own mount and have a plow with a 25-30 inch A frame. Which is the big downside of all these newer plow mounts is they hang so low they dig into the pile long before the front tires get to the pile. The goal is to hit the pile with the blade up and it pushes the top of the pile back. Then you push more snow on top and push that back. Once the pile packs down you can drive the truck on it. There is a picture (not a great picture) of a Dodge driving on a pile on the last thread of the Dodge discussion (Dodge rule). It's the third picture down. We haven't had any real storms this year so I don't have any good pictures. :( If we do get a good storm I will try to get some pics.
  12. chadse1

chadse1 Junior Member

hey, it is not the hieght of the pile , it is where that pile started before it was pushed back, that is why it is called "pushing back".

this is from the employee!

chevy's do rule.
  13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I hate to be the one to bring this up... I'm not sure if I'd do that, especially with my name on my truck. Think of the liability that you are creating (there are many dumb kids here i dont think they need to see a ramp...) I would think that the truck is much more suseptable to damage climbing like that. maybe i'm the only one that thinks like this, and will probably get flamed for it. :(

I'm kinda with PAPS on this one, stack as high as you can, then bring in something bigger (loader) if you need more room.
  14. snowfighterG

snowfighterG Member

it all in the feel

Oh yeh guys he definitely rides the pile and takes the top off and if it got any higher than that we would definitely get a loader to do the rest. We also take the front of the pile and drop it off the top. Once a season is all we get you can't do it after those piles get frozen. Snowbowtie I would never let them do it more than once and very carefully because I would flame him if he broke one of the trucks but the pic was all in fun!!:)

15. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

16. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Can you explain that a little better? I am not saying you are wrong, but do plow mounts on ford/dodge trucks mount any higher or further back than chevies? If so, is this just because of IFS? Just curious to know.

17. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Ryan, Im not saying i agree 100% with dillyolboy,but i know there is some truth to what he's saying. My Dodge w/solid axle stacks noticeably higher than my GMC with IFS.I thought it was the plow,but I talked to Greg(Dockboy) who also has the MVP,and on his Ford SD,the MVP is a stacking fool ,its not bad on my GMC,it just cant stack nearly as high as the Boss/Ram can.
  18. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Guys, I just did that on accident the night before last with a 2000 GMC Siera and boss V plow.

Cost me 50.00 to get wenched out it was stuck so bad.

Thought I'd get a couple foot of a start on a 3 foot snow pile I made earlier... Problen was, the plow shot up and over the pile and the truck lunged right on top of the pile and sank.

I was done.

Front tires dangling a foot or two off the ground and the plow weight created a see saw affect and lifted the rear tires enough to get zero traction.

That sucked at 3:00 AM

Lost 10.00 on that little lot.
  19. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

The same thing happen with 1 of my trucks last storm. The plow rode over the pile and the truck got stuck.We had to get 1 of our backhoes to pull it out.
  20. Sno

Sno Senior Member

As I sat, trying to get unstuck, calling around, waiting for the tow truck, and the 50.00 cost...

I was thinking maybe a wench with in cab controls will be my first purchase next year.