1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beat Clutch

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by BrendonV, Dec 1, 2003.

1. BrendonV

BrendonV Junior Member

I just picked up a 1987 Toyota pickup... i was wondering how could u tell if the clutch is beat?? it catches real far up and i was just wondering if there is an adjustment or is it just time for a new one???

2. jeepboy

jeepboy Member

Sorry to give you bad news but.....Your truck doesn't have an adjustment for pedal height. The master cyl for the clutch does have a free travel adj. right inside on the firewall where the pushrod comes through,but this won't help you as far as take-hold height goes. You can replace it in about 3.5 hours if you leave the trans bolted to the t-case and crossmember and just slide them back enough to gain access. also the shifter and the axle ends of the driveshafts. Do yourself a favor and buy a good name brand clutch...esp. if you work the truck hard. also get a service manuel and check the distance that the clutch pushrod moves....the book should have that measurment.If it doesn't move far enough it won't dis-engage properly. Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2003