1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beacons and strobes?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fordistough, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

What is everybody's preferance for Amber lights? I am personally a beacon guy. I love those PSE/Code 3 550's(the single reflector 55 watt halogen). Anyone?

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Any light is a good light for me. I like the Whelen Guardian Mini Halogen w/ cig. plug. Works A+ for me. I guess I am a halogen guy. Just easier to work on, but of course not the performance of the LEDs or strobes.:waving:
  3. i was

I did like halogen, but now i like led better. I have both
  4. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

I don't understand why some people spend thousands on lights, I've just got a code 3 420 beacon that plugs into the cigarette liter. I guess I'm a beacon guy
  5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Sleek styling, superior light output!
    DUAL STROBE G5M* $184.99
    this is my choice works great blinding lite up close but wife likes strobe's
  6. bfbchief

bfbchief Junior Member
    from CT

Beacon lights are probably better for "bad weather conditions" I have a mini code 3 amber rator on my F350 and it works great.

Stobes are good but you get too much flash back in snow and fog.

LED are also good and bright

But I would say the beacon is the way to go just because I feel it performs better in bad weather conditions
  7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I like them all. I have a dual strobe lightbar for one reason. To save battery power. Mine only takes 4 amps and it is bright as hell at night, not as bright but not bad by any means in the day. I'm trying to decide if I wanna switch to LED, though....;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Jon, have you noticed that the LED's (at least mine) don't reflect back at you in heavy snow like we had Friday night\Saturday morning? I got out of my truck to see if it was working, it was weird.

I have a mixture of all 3. Right now I will be going towards LED's on new trucks or if lights are being replaced. Second choice would be beacons.
  9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

My buddy has a Whelen Mini Edge for sale, he paid $ 526.00 for it in March of 2005, he's takin reasonable offers. It's in the original box with directions and all, he even paid $ 20.00 for a cord extension. He used it for a few months on his truck at the drag strip this past summer. I feel kinda bad cause I talked him into it and now the job he had is gone. He'll ship it with original bill of sale for any warranty purposes should they arise, will also e-mail pics to interested party, no tire kickers .....LOL

10. norrod

norrod Senior Member

Just run a little CODE 3.

I find a bunch of strobes blinding. Not so bad in open spaces, but I do a lot of tight quarter clean outs in a couple of condo and townhouse developments.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Amber, dual rotators on all of our tucks.
    If you want to brighten then up a little Sylvania makes a 55w, silver -star bulb that fits right in.
    Well, I think it was a 55w?? It's much brighter any way lol..
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  12. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Like To Be Seen

Hi guys ... I run 6 Blue strobes on the pick up with 90 watts of power...great of backing through trees on to the roadway
    The tractor i run a 16" dual strobe...but that also has lotsa bright head and tail lites
    Blow some snow to the north for me to plow ...I'm readypurplebou
  13. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Daner, why do you have blue strobes? In my area, amber is the construction and plowing light color.

14. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Blue is the legal plowing color in Canada where-as Amber is here. Blue is not legal in the US cause it's for law-enforcement.
  15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your right about Canada, but here in Mn(U.S.) only MNdot plows can run blue. Some times you see a unit from a small police force use blue in there light bars but who is going to write them a ticket lol...
  16. Mark

My new sho-me led bar on my new truck was AWESOME in that heavy snow last week! I LOVE IT. The only time its not as nice is during the day, when its not quite as bright as I would like it. Honestly, the only reason that I bought the led, was so the new (taller) truck would fit into the heated barn and any 7ft garage door! But I would highly recomend them to anyone! THe light not only doesnt reflect off snow, but you dont get near the ammount of annoying light bouncing off trees, houses, ect!
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Is it the mini-bar with the strobe tubes for the corners and the LED's on the sides? If so, that's the exact same one I have. Still can't figure out why it doesn't bounce off trees, buildings, snow, etc. You'd think light reacts in the same way, but I absolutely loved the effect or lack of effect in the heavy snow.

I, too, would recommend it to anyone. And it was half the price of the Code 3 I was going to purchase.
  18. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

Questions for the guys with leds. Do your leds get snow covered during the storm? I know they don't put out heat so thought that might be a problem.
  19. Nope!

Its the All led bar that was $225. I looked at the one you were talking about but opted not to spend the extra money. Who knows, maybe the next one will have strobes in it. Its got 7 different flash patterns so its cool. I always just set it on random, so it changes all the time!