1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

beacon vs lightbar

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by sven1277, Dec 16, 2013.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Is a light bar really better than a simple led beacon? I have a light bar on my dump truck mostly because I prefer the way it looks to a beacon. I also mounted 4 surface mount leds on the rear for complete visibility. I need to set up another dump truck with ambers. I don't really see the need to spend $300-500 for a single light bar when a $60 led beacon looks sufficient. I'm not trying to be cheap, just sensible. What are your thoughts?
  2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I like my beacon, gets the job done. Only thing I don't like is the sound of the beacon motors when im idling with the radio off. But its not a huge deal
  3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My boss runs an LED Federal signal beacon. Plenty of visibility. He hardly ever uses his haw's in the factory lights.

I have a 22" LED bar, 4 led light heads, and haw led's in my head and tail lights. 90% of the time I use just the hide a ways. The lightbar and the 4 other light heads can be to annoying. If it's a day time event with high vehicle and foot traffic I'll have everything on, in the middle of the night I run just the hide a ways.
  4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I think the only advantage of a bar over a beacon is the number of flashes per cycle. A beacon will give you one flash / 360 degrees around per cycle. A light bar will give you more flashes front and rear (depending on how many individual units in your bar), but still only one flash per cycle on either side. Make sense?
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Its really personal choice.
  6. KGI

KGI Junior Member

With the LED technology now, bars, or mini-bars are the way to go. They provide excellent visibility, don't consume any power and are silent. We run Raptors from Speedtech lights on all our trucks. I'd rather have more lights than less, the average driver on the road is oblivious to everything around them.
  7. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

It use to be if you want really good light output go with a minibar. However that's no longer the case. LEDs have come a long way and we offer beacons now that more than rival strobes or even some cheapo mini led bars out there. If you do go with a beacon make sure it's rated class 1.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^ good point^^^^
  9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Most of the dumps I see are running surface mount strobe or led lights in the back and cab corners with a rotator or strobe mini bar or single becon.
  10. mackclmodel

mackclmodel Senior Member