1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beacon shells?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by BTRBLDR, Dec 27, 2009.

1. BTRBLDR

BTRBLDR Member

I'm looking to add a few more lights to my truck. I got a 4 way hide away kit for dirt cheap money and was wondering, Is there a place to get just the outside shell of a beacon? This way I can get 2 or even 4 beacon shells and mount them on my racks. This way i can have amber lights on the 4way and the clears on my current 6way kit. Thanks!

2. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by "outside shell of a beacon." Do you mean just an empty base and dome of a rotary or strobe beacon, or were you looking for colored caps for the four hide-aways?

You're just planning to use the "6way kit" behind existing amber lenses on the truck, right?

3. BTRBLDR

BTRBLDR Member

I'm just looking for the empty base/shell of a rotary or strobe. I already have the 6way kit in the truck but I bought a 4way for cheap$$ and was trying to think of an easy way to mount the four lights. I figured since my 6 head kit is clear, 4 ambers would look good on the rig now.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  4. Maine_Train

Okay, assuming you're talking strobes here, you'd use the four new light heads/flash tubes for the "innards" of an empty beacon? I guess it could be done. Most (or all) manufacturers sell replacement parts for their products. I guess with just a base and a dome and any associated gaskets/mounting hardware, you could make it work.

Now, whether the cost in time, effort, and parts would produce a good result for "out on the road," I can't say. You might be better off selling the 4-way set and buying a good lightbar. I guess it might also be possible to find a couple of single beacons or a small dual-beacon bar with a dead power supply, and making them/it a remote unit on two outlets of the 4-way supply.

Are you running the other six as clear, behind turn signals or other amber lenses, or just running them as white lights? :confused:

5. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

why not just but a mini lightbar

6. BTRBLDR

BTRBLDR Member

The other 6 are all clear, headlights, rev, and cargo light locations. I got the 4 way kit for next to nothing and was just trying to put it to good use. I really want to get a nice clear led lightbar that flashes amber. Maybe I will just wait and buy the bar!

7. Maine_Train

Okay, got it.

You might want to take a look at Subsection 2 here, Paragraphs A and B, and then maybe put some amber caps on those. Even changing them to amber wouldn't really comply with 2B.
    You might never have a problem with it, but 2A and 2B are listed as two different violations in the "Schedule of Amounts Due for Traffic Infractions," and you could get whacked $139 for each. You might slide on 2A, since you're not flashing the headlights themselves, but it might also draw unwanted attention.
    Maybe you could find some low-cost surface-mount amber lenses to tuck the flash tubes behind, at least the ones that are now in the headlights and reverse lights.

Just thought I'd mention it, so you might avoid having to "donate" any additional money to the state in 2010. ;)

8. BTRBLDR

BTRBLDR Member

Thanks for the link Maine Train. Someone told me they were illeagal, I didn't believe them but now theres the facts. I haven't had a problem "yet" and dont want one either. I don't go riding around with them on, just when I am actually plowing my locations. A couple of other buddies have them as well and never had any issues with the popo. I'm going to leave the kit thats in my truck the way it is and buy a mini bar and sell this extra 4 head kit.

9. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

He's talking Lenses... (I think!) You've gotta know what kind of light they are. Then when you get the name and model number you can call pretty much anywhere that does lighting, installs and repairs.

One down here in Ohio that would have lenses would be www.campsafetyinc.com and tell them all the info that you have and go from there.

Good luck.

10. Maine_Train

Yeah, I think he was looking to make a beacon or two by putting the new flash tubes into an empty base and dome. Maybe like the Whelen Edge bars where someone has added LED modules to unused spaces on the bars. Strobes would probably be a little tougher to fit-up like that, but it could be doable.

BTRBLDR, I think you could relocate the existing lights in the headlights and reverse lights, maybe just to the sides of the front fender/truck bed near where you've got them now, and put them into new bezels with amber lenses. Those should avoid any problems about flashing headlights, etc., and would give you coverage on the corners of the truck. Then if you're backing out of a driveway, there'd be some more protection against inattentive motorists. A surface-mount bezel and lens would probably be flat enough to keep them from getting knocked off by branches, etc.

What brand of tubes and power supply do you have for the 4-head system and the ones already installed?

11. BTRBLDR

BTRBLDR Member

Thats exactly what I was trying to acheive. The more I think about it i'm just going to wait and buy a mini bar. I like the looks of them alot better and will get a better result. My 6 head kit thats installed is a 90watt whelen kit and the 4 way is a brand I have never heard of that is 60 watts {i dont have it in front of me to verify the brand}. A buddy of mine is going to take the 4 head kit for his dump truck and then I'll look into a mini light bar. Any suggestion? I've seen some good deals on ebay for voltex mini bars, are these a decent bar for the money??

12. Maine_Train

I haven't heard of Voltex until now. I did see the one in Maine on eBay just now, and I kinda cringed when I saw the $60 UPS charge for that. I guess maybe a 48" bar would hit the "oversize" category. Maybe you could go pick it up for way less. ;)

Before I got my Star strobe mini-bar, I looked at Whelen Guardian™ and a few others, mostly the dual-rotators versions.

13. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Are you look'n at LED or Haligan Rotators? Go to that website they have YouTube links for their bars so you can see what they do and the brightness. Then if you look around on here you can find people with different links of the stuff that is decent. Don't get any of this Unknown stuff off Ebay... It's Chineeze Junk!

Try to stay with Whelen, Federal, Code 3, Sho-Me...

14. Maine_Train

If you decide on a halogen* rotator type, here's one a PlowSite member listed for sale recently.
    As Pirsch said, stick with the established brands. Some sellers on eBay have the "name" stuff, or you can get a deal from one of the on-line vendors that some of the guys here have done business with in the past.

*Halligan [​IMG] :jester: