1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

beacon question????

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by baddboygeorge, Oct 27, 2008.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

I bought some peterson 10 joule quad flash beacons , are these bright enough, what joule should ya stay with on a plow truck to be seen well???

2. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

peterson makes a half way decent light ... it should be good enough ... unless you wanna spend more ..

3. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

i second that

4. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

you should not go by the joule output but the sae class it is rarted

5. baddboygeorge

spend more???

hell these were 151 dollars each, to me thats pricey for a beacon light!!

6. baddboygeorge

kitn1mcc

The dealer told me the more the joule the brighter an more powerful the light!! rite or wrong????

7. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

i wouldn't really say that ... the number of joules have nothing to do with the brightness .... the wattage does ... joules is for how many time you see the xenon bulb produces light ... and $150 its not a cheap light ....

8. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Do you have a Back rack to put them on? I like the back rack setup I have see in a bunch up in Maine. I think when Im done adding crap to my lightbar I will get rid of it and put two beacons on. The cover the same if not better than my bar. You can hang them off the sides of the truck for 360 degree coverage.

9. baddboygeorge

okay

Yes I am building a few racks for all my lighting! alltogether on my rack I will have 2 beacons 4 amber an clear wig wags an 4 halogen work lights,,,will that be enough???

10. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I wasn't being sarcastic. I think two beacons are enough. I can't operate my plow right now with all my lights going because my 160 (?) alt can't keep up. I really may switch to a two beacon on a rack setup. Everything else is just a bonus.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Description

One joule is the work done, or energy expended, by a force of one newton moving one metre along the direction of the force. This quantity is also denoted as a newton metre with the symbol N·m. Note that torque also has the same units as work, but the quantities are not the same. In elementary units:

One joule is also:

* The work required to move an electric charge of one coulomb through an electrical potential difference of one volt; or one coulomb volt, with the symbol C·V.
    * The work done to produce power of one watt continuously for one second; or one watt second (compare kilowatt hour), with the symbol W·s. Thus a kilowatt hour is 3,600,000 joules or 3.6 megajoules
    * The kinetic energy of a 2 kg mass moving at a velocity of 1 m/s. The energy is linear in the mass but quadratic in the velocity, being given by E = ½mv².
    * The potential energy of a 1 kg mass at an elevation of 1 m above a reference point in a gravitational field of 1 m/s². Earth's gravity being 9.81 m/s² at sea level, 1 kg at 1 m above the Earth's surface has a potential energy of 9.8 joules relative to that surface. When dropped the potential energy gradually becomes kinetic energy, with the conversion being complete at the instant the mass passes the reference point. Whereas kinetic energy is relative to an inertial frame, in this case that of the earth, potential energy is relative to a position, in this case the Earth's surface.

joule. as 15-joules, is a way to rate a beacon.

12. baddboygeorge

sno farmer

Hey buddy how are ya?? So what your saying is a beacon light needs to be atleast 15 joule,,mine are 10 joule , I could not find any higher than a 10 joule,,,

13. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I believe snofarmer was giving an example. I would say that your lights will be bright enough. Most of the guys I see around here just run a single strobe light on a stick. For me personally if I can stare at the light, its not bright enough, but all you really need to do is to grab attention.

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

no not at all just trying to get everyone on the same page as to what a joule is.

I'm sure your light will be more than bright enough.

15. baddboygeorge

okay

I gotcha , thanks so much for he help !!!

16. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

i my self go by the SAE class i always go class