1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Beach Erosion Work

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by merrimacmill, Nov 23, 2010.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Well I got a last minute job doing some beach erosion work. The local beach around here is having some major erosion problems, the dunes have been loosing more and more sand, bringing the houses closer to the edge each day even. One house actually fell down off the dune, onto the beach, and was lost.

What we've been doing is wrapping hay bales in snow fence, then bringing them down onto the beach, and then placing them in a trench that was dug in front of the dune. The idea of this is to help control washout each time the waves go out after breaking.

Its a pretty interesting project, and something not many people are doing so I thought I'd post some pictures. It ended up being a lot larger of a job than we planned, I thought we were doing 20 or so hay bales, we ended up doing over 100.

1120100918a.jpg

1122001007.jpg

1122101201.jpg

1122101206.jpg

2. merrimacmill

from MA

Heres a few more...

1122101203.jpg

1122101030.jpg

1122101029.jpg

1122101258.jpg

3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

nice way to work the tractors in the off season!

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Good thinking,but wouldn't adding another row in front in a staggering pattern do even a more thorough job?

5. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

interesting project!

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

What size Link Belt is that? My uncle has 2700, it's a good machine.

7. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Cool project. I assume you gotta deal with the local EPA over environental issues with working in relation to the water.That must be a big headache.

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Whose idea was it to use bales wrapped in snow fence? I haven't seen anything like that before.

9. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

can you explain WTF those are going to do? Water and moisture + hay bales= no hay in a year......... nice fence though.

I dont get what they do down in the ground? maybe stacked up against that slope to act as a make shift retaining wall and wind barrier but buried?

How about they bring in a few thousand yards of dirt and spread it on that hill side and get some established hardy grasses and sedges growing, that is a long term solution. Or cover the hill in rip rap.

10. merrimacmill

from MA

You really think the DEP would allow spreading a few thousand yards of dirt on the SAND dunes of a protected barrier island? Your crazy, or probably just not from anywhere near an ocean or beaches... You know nothing about this particular situation at all, so hold off on your ignorant comments until you've lived here and seen the problem first hand for years. And dirt washes away just as easy as sand will.

And they did dredge the river and brought in something like 120,000 cubic yards of sand from that and most of its gone in a few months. Then recently they brought in 2,500 cubic yards of sand and put it in front of only a few houses, it was gone in one good rain/wind storm. This is more a temporary solution to get them through the winter.

And to answer your question, it will help to prevent washout of the sand from the dune with the out going waves. The snow fence helps hold the bales together better than they would if it was just the hay.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  11. merrimacmill

from MA

A local resident of the beach presented the idea. He has done it on a separate part of the beach and it worked out great so far from what I understand. Apparently its been installed since June. Also, I was told that this method has been used quite a bit in Australia.

12. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Growing up in Daytona Beach, they used to take Christmas trees after the holidays and put them staked up some way on the beach. They would help catch the blowing sand and helped with the erosion. Not sure how well it worked, I haven't lived there in over 20 years but I do remember them doing that as a kid.

13. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Interesting project Collin, They made break walls out of huge pieces of concrete for our beaches and sunk them about 40 yards off the beaches every 20-30 yards apart. I think it worked to some degree but I also think it caused the e-coli bacteria to increase,lol.

14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Broken up cement works too but looks ugly! But not as ugly as a sea wall. But in any case good job. Did you manage to get anything stuck? It was probably pretty cold having that wind blow right off the ocean!
    Keep up the good work!

15. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Neat project! Better clean those tractors REAL good when your done, i'm sure that salty air isn't good for any part of them!

16. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

Another reason to always have a fishing pole with you. Looked like fun.

17. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Well he is right on the coast so his stuff probably does rust pretty fast :nod:

18. SDP Hauling

SDP Hauling Senior Member

neat project

19. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

In 36 years in the excavating biz,I can tell you that IMO,there is NOTHING better than hay for short term erosion control if used correctly.It will last much longer than 1 yr.as you pointed out and in this application,those round bales need to be in the ground.The power of the ocean would have hay floating everywhere if they weren't buried.

20. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

nice work! would be a cool job to do, i think!