1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Be Safe!!! Use your headlights when driving between jobs!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BigRedBarn, Jan 6, 2005.

1. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

OK, maybe this should be in another area of this forum. But, if you people are like me, you only frequent the Chevy truck threads. So, here goes...

I'm trying to plow my cousin's driveway. He lives on a road much like mine... sorta rural, road has a 45 MPH speed limit but most people rarely drive that slow, frequent traffic as it's a main North-South road, and some dips in the road such that you can't see much more than about ¼-½ down the road to see if traffic's coming.

So, I'm trying to back out of his drive to take a second swipe and clear the end of his driveway. It's snowing heavy, and it's getting toward 4:00 PM, so it's getting slightly dark. Anywho, I look both ways, see no traffic, so I back out, stop, put the plow down (I have it set to drop a bit slower than most as I don't like to have it bang in the early morning and wake up people), and start forward. This plow jockey coming down the road starts blaring his horn at me like I'm stoopid (which I am but that's another discussion for another day).

OK, so who is at fault here? I have all my lights on, and a revolving yellow strobe. My truck's dark red. He's driving a late model Chevy HD... ALL WHITE!!!... with a WHITE Blizzard plow... and absolutely no lights on, not even DRL's on the front of the truck. I know a lot of guys have a problem with DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) and turn them off after starting up their truck (I know this as my brother is seriously anal about DRL's). So, maybe he did turn them off, or maybe Blizzard plows don't have the plow headlihgts go on when the DRL's are on (like Western plows do). I don't know.

All I can think about is the white canvas with a frame around it with the painting title of: "Polar bear walking in a snowstorm."

[RANT] C'mon guys, put you lights on whenever it's snowing when you're on the road. OK? [/RANT]

OK, I'm off my soapbox now. Whew... thanks for listening... I needed that rant.
  2. drplow

drplow Senior Member

you know what i don't understand, why cant people with plows respect each other. if you put yourself in both trucks i would first slow down if a plower is ahead of me plowing a driveway (not to the point where the plower is waiting too long) and safety wise i might flash my lights once or touch the horn.
    i would do this only when it is necessary seeing that sooner or later some day you may not see that car or truck coming and hopefully when that does happen the person driving that vehicle is driving defensive. if i was in the other truck i would stay put and let the other driver pass or move out of his way so that i could get my job done.
  3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS......I HEAR YA!........Same deal happened to me the other day !

Backed into road to start pushing and some knucklehead in a plow rig (local scab lowballer) turns the corner and shoots right in back of me ! Heck its 7 am, I have my headlights, beacon on and this NITWIT (NO beacon or headlights either) wouldn't even slow down and cut me a break.

I came within a inch of ripping the side of his truck off with the rear of mine.
    So he stands in the road eyeballing his old POS rig for damage and shaking his fist at me yelling some nasty stuff...................

I just laughed, told him to be use more courtesy and have a nice day and kept on pushing!

I see some fella pushing snow or backing into the road I always give them a wide berth or stop and give them a light flash and a wave that its OK to continue backing up or push ahead !

It sure is a PIA to stop in the middle of a push and get going again with a full blade load...........Some folks are just idiots..... :gunsfiring:

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I hear ya guys.....I hear ya.

My headlights are ON anytime the plow is on.
  5. drplow

drplow Senior Member

why would anybody risk an accident anyways. some guys hit manhole covers and curbs and before you know it your plow is trashed. I'm sure hitting another truck would put you out of commission for some time. i don't know about you guys, but i don't think i have a spare truck sitting around. if your rig brakes down even for 1 hour, its a loss of income and business.
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Hey, I had all of my lights on AND my twin blue rotary lights on when the woman in her fancy Sebring convertible backed into the side of me last year as I drove by!!!

The salt in the wound was the initial reaction she gave: "Look what YOU did to my car!" :rolleyes: