1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Be Content or Upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jmckee2, Jan 14, 2011.

1. jmckee2

jmckee2 Junior Member

Just before winter, I bought a slightly used 2010 7'6 Boss Standard Duty Straight blade and have since put used wings on it which helps a bunch on a church lot I do, but are a pain taking them on and off to transport from job to job. I only have a handful of driveways and a church this year, which is fine with my other work schedule. I plan on adding a couplde more churches next season. I have the chance to buy a 2009 Boss 8'2 Poly V in great condition, it has smart locks and the curb guards which would be nice for the church lot. I would be out of pocket only $300-500 if I sell mine with wings and buy this V, is it worth it to upgrade to the V without wings, or be content with my current set up and finish the season with the small amount of plowing I do.

2. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

sell sell sell I dont think you can go wrong with a V blade, you will be able to stack higher than that straight blade and you will have more control of the snow, Id say do it.

Ian

3. jmckee2

jmckee2 Junior Member

Do you think the scoop position vs. mine with wings is way better?

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

For the $300-$500 difference, I'd say its worth it for not having to get out of the truck and remove/install your wings when your done.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yep I agree. Question though, why do you have to take them off between jobs? I guess maybe in your area the cops are more strick but around here they don't care.

6. jmckee2

jmckee2 Junior Member

I take them off because of the overall width, almost 9'6 and Boss site says don't transport with them on and also a couple driveways are too narrow to plow with them on, but some drives they help a bunch.
    Rbronkema Ghtfd- how much more do you like the v than the straight with wings?

7. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

Sounds like a no brainer. Just make sure your truck can handle it.

This is my first season ever using a V plow....lets just say i wont be buying a straight blade again

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

once you use a V you will never go back to a straight blade (even with wings)

9. jmckee2

jmckee2 Junior Member

Right now the 7'6 blade is roughly 600 lb and the 8'2 poly v looks to be around 800 lb, I did put timbrens on and weld the gussets in place even before I mounted the 7'6.

10. rjlucas4th

rjlucas4th Member

You will love the V plow once you use it. There is no way that I will ever go back to a straight blade after having the versatility of the v plow. You wont be disappointed!!

11. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

not many guys here in central ohio take off the wings but i will say that since i bought my 8'2" v-xt i'll never own a straight blade again!!!!!!!!!!!

12. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

13. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

i will personally say ive seen a 15-20% increase in my production

14. jmckee2

jmckee2 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm trying to make the deal this weekend, if it doesn't work out, I'm sure I will find a V before next season.

15. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Go for the 8' 2" blade and eventually wing it.

16. Indy

Indy Senior Member

haven't taken my wings off since I put them on.......that's one answer

the other is, I think I would enjoy a v for moving piles or long distance pushes......

17. jmckee2

jmckee2 Junior Member

Another question on my upgrade to v plow, do I only have to change controllers or upgrage wiring? I have brand new wiring with 13 pin truck plug in and 9 pin controller plug.

18. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

Get th V. Problem is you'll likely plow with it for a couple storms and then look for wings for it. You can never be too productive. But it's still a good upgrade, especially for that price.

19. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

why sell the straight with the wings?? take the wings and brackets off and put them on the new v blade. then in v you'll be fine going down the road, depending how strict your cops are.

20. jmckee2

jmckee2 Junior Member

I'm working on getting a xt right now and my wings wouldn't fit, but I was thinking that when I was looking at the std poly v. I also thought it would be an easier sale for my 7'6 blade to include the wings as option for another $300-400 more. Anybody know about the wiring set up? If I need v wiring or just v controller