1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BB need some help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EricD701, Jan 22, 2011.

1. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

1997 chevy K2500 >8600 when I press the 4x4 button it will flash for a while before it goes into 4 wheel drive.
    When I did my pre season check (still warm out) is seemed to go in no prob.. now that its cold it takes a while to go in.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the CAD - Central Axle Disconnect - actuator is getting tired. It's located on the passenger side of the front axle housing. How many wires on the connector?

3. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

Looks like 2 plugs with 2 wires in each one harness goes to the end of the CAD the other I couldn't see but felt like it went some place near the top of the CAD

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The second pair is the sensor that tells you the front axle is engaged. If you are getting 12 volts to the actuator, and it's slow, it's time for a change. There are some options better than the thermal actuator. One is the Posi-Lok.

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html

I had one on an '89 K1500, loved it.

I am using the ultra economy method now......
    The thermal on my 96 Tahoe still works, but it's not fast especially when it's cold out. So I have a spacer in the axle to keep the CAD engaged full time. I used a 3/8 drive socket, 13/16 i think. A lug nut will also work. Remove the actuator, put the spacer in, screw the actuator back in.

Now when I push the button, I have instant 4wd.

5. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

So basically with the spacer its like if you had the old locking hubs and your driving around with the hubs locked all the time and when you hit the button you got 4 wheel drive.

Is it hard to do and where does the spacer go to hold it in our out?

Thanks for your help.

6. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

When you put the spacer in do you plug in the CAD or do you leave it unplugged?

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You are right on with how it works. Actually - I thought I posted a reply earlier this morning.....

I left mine unplugged, just filled both connectors with Di-electric grease. But I'm thinking I can put them back together and just pull the 4wd fuse - not the transfer case fuse. Going to investigate today and will let you know.

8. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

Sounds good thanks for the info look forward to hearing what you find out with the fuse
    When I get home from work I was going to put the spacer in if I don't run out of daylight.

9. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

Got home in time before the sun went down put the spacer in and you recalled right it was a 13/16 works great now push the button and I have instant 4x4.

Thank you for all your help.

Let me know how you make out with the fuse.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not every model year works or is labeled the same but if it's a push button system with two separate fuses, one labeled "4WD" and one labeled "t-case" you can pull the 4WD labeled fuse only; therefore disabling the actuator while leaving the push button system continuing to operate the T-case. However on some years pulling the 4WD fuse will also cut power to the T-case control module thus you'll lose shifting functions but you can try it out and see.

Instant 4WD when you demand it is a nice feature.

11. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

Thanks for the help BB… For now I did the same as 2COR517 and filled both sides of the connector with dielectric grease then I taped it up.
    Going to check out the fuse situation because it would be nice to plug it back in that’s the best for weather protection.

If I can’t do the fuse pull I guess the next thing I could do is go to the junkyard and get the connector and use that as a cap for each end of my harness.

Yes the instant 4x4 is going to be great. As it was now when out plowing going from one spot to another I would need to shut off the 4x4 then when I get to the plow location it would take way too long for the CAD to kick in.