1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery's and the pros/cons

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 7.3LFisherF250, Dec 3, 2007.

1. 7.3LFisherF250

7.3LFisherF250 Junior Member

Well let me just ask this for the diesel truck owners out there what battery's have u found to work for a long period of times. I have found that the battery that my plow is hooked up to has just bitt the dust and only holds a charge of 5-7 volts. im not comfortable with replaceing the one im better off doing both. but im looking for some ideas, suggestions on which batt will give me the longevity.
  2. J29

J29 Senior Member

I got 7 years out of my old 99 PSD Motorcraft batteries. Didn't see any reason to switch brands after that. J.
  3. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

first of all diesel 's the batterys should always be replaced in pair's . the one close's too the starter gets the most work out but i'm not risking when it 20 below and my truck doesn't wanna start . the motorcrafts are good batteries .
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

ALL multiple battery setups should have the batteries replaced as a set, not just diesels.

I ran factory Mopar batteries in my 96 from 1998 (first owner killed the OEM set through a defect the dealer could not resolve and I had brand new ones when I bought it) until 2 years ago, then I put in Interstates.
  5. Diehard Platinum

Interstate has been a favorite for years

But, if you want the longest warantee ( 100 months-- and 48mo no cost)
    then you have to look at the Diehard Platinum
    new waffer technology and fully sealed --zero maintenance

this battery has a big reserve capacity and CCa

I tried this when the current truck didnt have room for a 2nd battery.

5 days of hard plowing and short back/forth and heavy snow -- successful test.
    absolutely no problems

I do have a new 135amp Alt and larger cables from the Alt to the battery.

This battery can even be mounted inside or on its side.

$180 however.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Or buy a Pair of Duralast's from AutoZone for like $180.