1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery wiring

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Plowfast9957, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I have searched and found alot of info on installing dual batterys but I have factory duals. The battery on the passenger side is not charging. I assume it is a bad solenoid? Also should the plow power come off of this battery or does it not matter. It seems like this is an "accessory" battery but when the plow was installed they used the battery on the drivers side.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What year is the truck?

3. Plowfast9957

sorry 2005 2500 HD. 6.0

4. Plowfast9957

Well I took everything I could find apart, the fuse block, the solenoid etc and cleaned it up. Seems to be charging now. But I am still wondering if it matters what battery the plow should be hooked to. (minute mount 2).

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it was just suffering from a poor connection, which is usually the case.

The stock cables between the two batteries on these trucks are nowhere near large enough to do the job correctly and will create unsatisfactory results if you connect the plows power cables to the passenger side battery, so connect it to the driver side battery only.

If you want it to perform even better, replace those undersized cables with good quality 2 or 4 gage cables and increase the cable size on the alternator charging wire as well.

6. Plowfast9957

Ok thanks for the help..