1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery Wiring Help Needed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by drof99, Nov 20, 2011.

1. drof99

drof99 Junior Member
    from USA

I recently gota plow mounted on my 86 Dodge 3/4 ton. I got a great deal on the plow because it needed a little TLC. I've got everything installed and the plow is working great. Now my concern is battery and charging issues. The plow lights on the truck dim down pretty good while working the plow. Everything on this old farm truck is stock. The alternator is a factory one putting out around 75 amps. The truck will mainly be used to plow my drive and the road to town. Sometimes the county takes their time getting us plowed out! I currently have only one battery and want to upgrade to have two batteries. My question is how how to wire these batteries up? I will be using a heavier 6 gauge wire. I would also like to replace the factory wiring from the alternator to how ever the batteries need to be wired. I will be upgrading all the grounding wires at the same time. The batteries will be sitting on opposite side in the engine compartment. I will be welding in a mount for the second battery. Any help with how to wire the batteries and exactly which cables to take where would really help me out. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

2. Mgbss

Mgbss Junior Member

Just run a Battery Cable from the new battery + to the existing Battery + run the new battery ground (-) to the truck frame.

3. drof99

drof99 Junior Member
    from USA

One more question that I forgot to put in the original post. I want to eliminate the original fusible link wiring and install some kind of inline fuse. What size fuse would be good with my setup? Thanks for the help so far!