1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

battery selection

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by wild bill, Jan 6, 2014.

1. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hello gent's looking for some idea's for the best battery size and brand for a 2001 2500hd with 6.0 and all the accessory's and a boss 7'6" super duty i have just one battery in the truck .any idea's are appreciated :)
  2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Optima Yellow Top
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with oem and get a delco.
  5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

The biggest, badest OEM you can get.
  6. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

A few years back I did an extensive on this very subject. The best battery out there is made by Oddessey, who also make the sears platinum battery. You need reserve capacity when plowing and these batteries have the most out there without sacrificing the cold cranking amps. What I found out to be most important is the fact that these batteries can be drained to zero, several times and come back to 100%. If this happens to any other battery, you will only get it back to around 80% or less. Then there is the internal design that has an anti-vibration effect. Most convention batteries cannot handle the roughness of plowing for its full warranty period.
  7. wild bill

thank's i am looking
  8. BossEric

BossEric Member

We've also found it a good idea for the serious plow truck , when equipped with all the options plus plow,speader, beacon lights. To add a larger alt,and extra battery. The GM is one of the easier trucks to add another battery to, in our opinion. But we add them to all the truck models without any problems. It's always a thought we remind our customers about.Even if you don't upgrade the alt. it's nice to do the battery.
  9. SnowGuy73

What's the price tag on that?
  10. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

The DieHard Platinum will run around $230.
  11. wild bill

oah my god just checked the price at battery's plus $314.99 and two weeks to order !they haqv a duracell dual terminal in stock 850 cca $112.99 :eek:
  12. SnowGuy73

13. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Maybe I should have been more specific. I am recommending the Sears DieHard Platinum battery. They are made for Sears by Oddessey. They will set you back $230 but we'll worth it In my opinion.
  14. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I have always used interstates after my factory delco's have need to be replaced. My last 78 series(FOR CHEVY 2500 HD TRUCKS) was only $105.00 about October I think.
  15. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Oddessey is a brand not the mfg. They, along with some die hards, as well as other brands are mfg by enersys.
  16. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I second the Sears Diehard Platinum. They are absorbed glass mat (AGM) type batteries and handle the high current, discharge, and vibration very well. My Silverado with the stock delco only 3 years old would drop the voltage so low the message center gave me call kinds of warnings. Diehard Platinum fixed that and is now on it's fifth winter. The truck also sits a lot (a week at time) and it's always started for me.

I believe Optima's are also AGM. Compare the AH rating and get the biggest one you can fit regardless of what you go with, don't just look at CCA. If a battery doesn't have the AH rating on it or you can't easily get it from the supplier it's not worth buying.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  17. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Interstate MTP, $140.
    stay away from Optima, they're garbage, and I can say that, I've had yellow and red.
  18. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

What is the Reserve in the Sears? The Yellow Top which everyone was raving about only had 120 Reserve --- the one off of the shelf from my truck had 135 Reserve…so why the big deal? Thats the most important number…

Do you know what it is in the DieHard?
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  19. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

wow thats a little pricy. But on the fip if it lasts longer and cycles better for a plow truck it is well worth the investment
  20. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

I just switched to an Odyssey PC1750T-C, which is a 65-series battery. It's working great on my setup, which is an 02 F250 5.4L with a Western Uni-Mount 7'-6" poly.