1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery Seepage

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Bad Luck, May 28, 2006.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Maybe someone can help me with this. I have two Interstate batteries in my truck running together, no isolator. Recently, I've been noticing that the battery on the passenger side looks like it is leaking from the vent caps. Enough to where the plastic is all stained around the top and the batter tray has some corrosion on it. What would cause this? Should I switch it out?

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You probably have a battery cell that's boiling when it is charging or it's over filled. This usually means the battery will die on you in the future. Check the system make sure it's not running over 14.5 volts when it's running 12.5->12.6 volts not running. Make sure the batteries are tied down tight too,you don't want them bouncing around.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Cleaning the area with lots of water and flushing with salt-a-way or similar agent will save you corrosion issues in the further.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

2 words Optima battery
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Forget the optimas- they;re over rated.

How old are the interstates? Were they bought at the same time and installed together or was one added later?

If batteries are not the same age and in the same condition they will charge at different rates and cause problems, like one overcharging because the other is not taking a complete charge (which leads to alternators dying....). A bad cell can ba a culprit as Mickrig mentions as well, a bad voltage regulator could also be a culprit, poor connections on one or both battery terminals can create resistance thus making an unbalenced load and overcharging one battery of a pair just as a mismatch.

If you have to replace the batt replace BOTH at the same time.

Search for dual battery topics in this forum, it's been covered in depth from all aspects reguarding iosolators and non isolators, optimas versus normal batteries and such.