1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by searay220, Jan 5, 2010.

1. searay220

searay220 Member

:dizzy:Time for a new battery. Not because the one I have in the truck now is bad. It's just preventive. It's a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew with 8ft Fisher HD Plow. The truck was purchase November of 2005. I want the best battery but I don't know what that is. What do guys recommend??

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

The largest Cold Cranking amps that can fit in the tray!! I only use two different brands of batteries.. Diehard (gold the most expensive one).. And CAT..

3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yellow Top Optimas but better bring the bank book.

Mike

4. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I think plowinginma meant Diehard Platinum. I just bought one. They are made by the same company that makes Odyssey batteries. They are an AGM (absorbed glass matt) type battery, which is really good for plowing (tolerates charge/discharge well), and they'll have some of the best if not THE best specs for a given size. $200 at your local Sears, 4 year full warranty, 6 year prorated I believe.

5. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

Yeah go with the yellow top I have those in my truck and I can run the plow and have ALL of my lights on and my Volt meter in my truck hardly moves... they are worth the price you will pay for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I've had bad luck with recent versions of the red tops, and have read lots of less than stellar reviews of them recently. Carquest batteries are made by East Penn - same company that makes Deka and a ton of other batteries, and they have one of the best reputations in the world for batteries. The Carquest Advanced Generation have a full 3 year replacement warranty, and a 7 year prorated warranty. I just picked up two of them on sale for $81 each and will be installing them this weekend when the rest of the stuff I ordered to rig up dual batteries finally gets here. There is also the Carquest NGT Extreme which is their AGM that is the same as the Deka Intimidator.

7. LEVE

LEVE Member

I like the Optima line. Exide also has the spiral wrap/Optima type battery that's pretty good. They're just a little pricey for my wallet.
    This sounds attractive, more starting power in cold weather. However when the case size stays the same and the CCA's go up there's only one way to accomplish this and that is by moving the lead plates closer together. This increases the chance that the plates will vibrate and sulfate, decreasing battery life.

When living in the St. Paul MN area I used to maximize my CCA's for winter use. But I bought the Gel Cell batteries in hopes to minimize the vibration and sufate problems. Most standard batteries I bought would last about 5 years in this environment. I could easily get 7 years out of the Gel Cell batteries and I opted for them, they were a higher cost.

Just as an aside... I was listening to a Consumer Reports radio vignette a few days ago. They said that the Wal*Mart batteries (MAX, IIRC) were among the best tested. That surprised me.

8. bersh

bersh Senior Member

The Wally batteries are made by Johnson Controls - very well respected manufacturer.

9. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Just as an aside... I was listening to a Consumer Reports radio vignette a few days ago. They said that the Wal*Mart batteries (MAX, IIRC) were among the best tested. That surprised me.[/QUOTE]

i read the same a few yrs ago

10. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

LOL woops.. yes that would be the one... I have never used the yellow top.. but from what I hear they are worth the money..

11. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Hawker Batteries are really good too... Alot of guys use them in their vintage military trucks because they extremely long reserves, which seem like a plus in the plowing business if you're going to tax your battery a lot.

12. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I had bad luck with Auto Zone and Walmart cheapy batteries, apparently the lower-priced options are all reman junk. But I've also heard the Walmart Max and Autozone Duralast GOld are highly rated Johnson Contorls batteries. For years I would only buy big Diehards, but my last set of Diehard Silvers gave me a lot of problems so I went with the Duralast Golds this time. Better price than the Diehards and a little more power iirc. So far so good, I've only had them about 3-4 months but they seem to hold up to the constant rundown and recharge of plowing. Actually really stressed them yesterday, my alternator sh** the bed and I drove the truck and started it several times before I could get a new one in it.
    I know everyone here seems to love them, but I've heard bad things about the Optimas. Apparently if you do kill them, they will not come back from it as well or as many times as a conventional battery. We used to run them in all our crown vics because of all the electronics and extra lighting, but we got rid of them and now use Interstates.

13. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I uses a pair of Interstate U-6Dl's in my M35A2 to start her up and without either I can get the Diesel engine to start up in about 3 tries in 0-20degrees. I really only use the Ether start when it is really really cold like below zero or the truck hasn't been driven in a couple of weeks due to my work schedule.

14. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Don't forget to use Fluid Film on the connections. It will last at least a year protecting your battery terminals.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I put a new Duralast Gold in a couple of weeks ago. Took it back two days later, full refund. My two year old Exide was better. I was told that Exide, Interstate, and Optima each make their own batteries. Johnson makes the rest. I don't know if that's true or not. I am probably going to get two new Interstates here shortly.

16. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i have good luck with interstates :waving:

17. OptimaJim

OptimaJim Junior Member

bersh, I’m sorry to hear of your recent problems with our RedTop battery. If you are using a lot of aftermarket accessories, such as plows or winches, a deep-cycle battery (for example, an Optima YellowTop) is a better option than a starting battery (RedTop), regardless of brand. A starting battery is intended to be used to start a vehicle that has typical electrical requirements, where the battery's voltage is maintained by the alternator. In a plow truck or other vehicle with exceptional electrical requirements, the battery can be discharged as those accessories are used. A dual purpose or deep cycle battery will be much more tolerant of this use. If you use a starting battery in a deep cycle application, the battery will have a shorter life.

Detroitdan, Optimas have a very low internal resistance, which allows them to be discharged to a much deeper state than traditional flooded batteries. Most battery chargers will not recharge any battery that is below 10.5 volts and most flooded batteries cannot be recovered from such a deep discharge. Optimas can be recovered from a deeply-discharged state and do hold up to that cycling better than traditional flooded batteries. This video helps explain how to recharge deeply-discharged Optimas-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIoaL3DWWEg

Johnson Controls is the parent company for several different brands of batteries, including Optima. If you have any other questions about batteries, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Jim, thanks for chiming in. I have been told that while we do exceed alternator output momentarily when running our plow, the discharge is minimal, and the battery is re-charged almost immediately. This means we are not in a traditional deep cycle, running the battery down to a very low voltage. It seems to me this would be similar to starting your truck, then recharging. Of course we do this several hundred times a night. Is the yellow top your recommendation across the board for plow trucks?

Also, thanks for clarifying you are under the Johnson Controls umbrella.

19. searay220

searay220 Member

OptimaJim: I'm not sure I understand. So for example on my truck 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L Crew Cab. All factory except for 8ft Fisher Plow electric hydrolic. What would be your best recomendation ? Thanks:help:

20. orange toys

orange toys Member

I need help for the same thing but I am replacing my 5yr old battery