1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

battery question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by popov_plow, Jan 28, 2006.

1. popov_plow

popov_plow Junior Member

Would it be dangerous to wire two 500-600ish cca batteries in parallel to increase capacity?

here's the deal-I just spent all my money on a Western cable operated plow setup for my 88 dodge ramcharger. I've already upgraded to a 100a alt. but my 650cca battery just aint cuttin it (easy to underestimate how much juice a plow draws). can't afford to spring for a new battery until I make some of my money back.

thanks

2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

if u do just be sure they are the same size(rating) or you will wear out both batteries quickly. doing this is the standard. two batts wired + to + and - to -

run 2ga or larger cable from the second batt. to the main. then run a 2ga or larger ground directly to the frame. with a small wire to the body.

i run four 1100 ca group 37's wired together. with a 230amp alternator(in the summer this truck runs two winches and a 3,000watt inverter and an under hood welder, and the full perimeter lighting oh and two 12volt electric air pumps[on board air]).

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

if your plow is drawing that much try cleaning the motor sounds like carbon on the brushes in the plow motor or build up just try some contact cleaner...

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You MUST run identical batteries or you will damage something. they need to be the same CCA, same group, and same age. If you run different ones, like add a new one to the 2 year old one under the hood you will have a mismatch in current draw and thus either the batteries will suffer (one can over charge trying to charge the other for example) or the Alt can cook because of the mismatch.

As long as they are the same yes run them parallel and increase the reserve and CCA- absolutly, and as Murphy'slaw said use heavy cables. I would also agree with Fernalddude check the motor and also check ALL the electrical connections for good contact. it is easy to underestimate the demands of a blade, but make sure you;re not wasteing the juice through bad connections.

My Ram diesel has 2 950CCA group 84's stock. Group 84's have about twice the reserve time as group 34's (and weight 50lbs each!) When you choose batteries, buy the ones with the biggest reserve time not the highest CCA.
    CCA is the initial burst of current available which is good for starting but not for long draw like leaving the lights on, radio on, moving the plow several times in a short period of time like plowing a driveway. Those benifit from longer reserve times. Mesure and see what the biggest batteies will fit. If you can fit group 84's get them over group 34's.

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I've plowed many a season with a 65A alternator and old '80's era batteries and never had a problem.

6. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Hook em together...don't worry about exact size, age, etc...just do it and it will work fine!

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Good way to cost yourself an alternater at best and a PCM computer at worst- that's where the voltage regulator is these days.....

Search the rest of the site for several threads about this and search the web in general, there are MANY sites with much better advice than that. Sprry NJ Plowman- but that's BAD advice.

TLS- not in your 04 you haven't I'm willing to bet. Mismatched batteries will toast an alt or regulator no matter what vintage the vehicle, but older cars were much more tolerant than todays.

8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Do want good advice or just what you want to hear?

We 99.99% agree on two identical batteries. I would strongly recommend a isolator as well.

FYI. If one good battery's that is good is not cutting it this winter, you should be looking at why. I ran one battery in a fisher MMI for 5 years without a problem. stock battery took me 3 years and I went to a Sears Range Handler to upgrade second time around.

PS. Please add a signature at the bottom of your posts It will help us help you. Truck,Engine, plow, options etc.

Thanks,Yaz

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I agree one bad battery will cause trouble...
    You should run two identical batteries same make and cca. + to+ and-to-.
    DO NOT use a battery isolator for plowing it is for the camper. If you do you will need 3 batteries 1 for the truck and 2 for the plow

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justme-
    Good way to cost yourself an alternater at best and a PCM computer at worst- that's where the voltage regulator is these days.....
    Mismatched batteries will toast an alt or regulator no matter what vintage the vehicle, but older cars were much more tolerant than todays.

Two good pieces of advice. Listen!

11. popov_plow

popov_plow Junior Member

as is turns out I plowed 15 driveways with this setup and there was no damage. Now I've got an optima yellow top that has enough capacity to run my plow pretty easily.

I def. wouldn't want to do it again, but it did get me by temporarily!

12. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

deep cycle

I run a deep cycle battery just for the plow and plow lights, then I still have the regular truck battery just running the truck stuff. Never had a problem with this set up yet. Ran wires from truck batt to deep cyc batt, to keep the deep cyc batt charged from the alt too.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

How long have you been running this setup? Are both batteries the same CCA?
    Your alt will keep the larger battery charged. This will cook the smaller battery. I would bet that there is a lot of corrosion on the terminals of the smaller battery from it giving off gas and is warm to the touch after you have been plowing.

14. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

no corrosion

No problems yet. Never noticed heat to touch. Yes they are different cca. No corrosion either. Will updated if anything happens, but no problems this year.

15. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

cca's and pits

The deep cycle one running the plow and plow lights is cca 750 and the truck batt is cca 770. Heres a couple of pits. The blue one is the deep cycle running the plow unit and plow lights. The yellow one runs the truck.

Copy of DSCF0001.JPG

Copy of DSCF0002.JPG

16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

it's only a matter of time till you DO have a problem...

17. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Please explain what problems. Would like to know what to look for.

18. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

I still dont see a problem with both batteries charging at the same time. I just used the wire that goes to the main battery for charging it and split off it and ran it to the solenoid of the plow battery. Both batteries seem to charge at the same time without any problems. Please tell me what problems I am suppose to be or will be having in the future. Just so i know what to be looking for.

19. LD4850

LD4850 Member

The sky will fall, your girlfriend will get pregnant, & Your tail lights will burn out in the summers.
    I've only been running 2 batteries for 20 or 30 yrs now so I don't know about in the long term but..... I've had several mismatched batteries with NO problems. However... I have had alternators fail running just one battery with NO plow or extra lights.
    As far as running an isolator.. I have done that too_One battery for the truck and isolated battery for the plow. Worked great. Didn't burn up anything.:dizzy: :confused:

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

O.K. chicken little,,, and at 50yr old your still afraid of getting your girlfriend pregnant?? lol
    No, your voltage regulator will burn out this summer for no reason at all.:D

I have 26yr of running equipment with multi battery set ups and all of them always had the same size batteries, it did not matter..
    your like the guy who never changes his tranny fluid,,
    AN exception to the rule...(LUCKY)
    The reasons not to have already been covered, overcharging , cooking a battery can lead to a fire and having mismatched batteries can effect your ALT, voltage regulator costing you down time and costly repairs.
    Sure you can use an isolator and good luck with that. thats not the use it was intended for. just some thing else to go wrong.
    KISS.Keep-It-Simple-Stupid......:waving:
    Not saying your stupid,,, just an expression)