1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Battery question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by caz41, Dec 14, 2005.

1. caz41

caz41 Member

I have everything setup for a dual battery in my 99. Just wondering what batteries I should get. Brand, size, etc. Thanks.
  2. markq

markq Member

I dont really know about which batteries you shoudl get, although I've alays heard good things about Optima.

The questions I have is, did you do your own setup for dual batteries? If so, how did you do it, and could you post some pics?

I'm actually going to be doing this on my '04 GMC in the next couple of weeks.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

What do you have room for?

What size is the factory battery? Group 37? 24? ?? Whatever the factory size is, get 2 new ones of that. If you can fit multiple sizes, get the biggest (longest reserve time and most # of plates) that will fit. My ram will take a Group 36 (1000CCA) or a Group 24 (770CCA). The factory batteries are 24- more plates and much longer reserve time which is more important that CCA for plowing (and diesel's).

Lots of guys love the Optima's but I have heard they don;t last too well in the Diesel's so I went with Interstates. Got 5 years out of the Factory Dodge batteries (Excide- rated generally as poor batteries according to several sources includeing a parts manager at a dealer near me)
    I have never had good luck with Sears for warranties, and most Diehards are Excide batteries anyway. Actually, most independant name batteries are Excide.
  4. RTW5150

RTW5150 Junior Member
    from IL

Interstate, matched pair of the biggest batteries you can squeeze under the hood!
  5. go plow

go plow Senior Member

ive been told to run gel batt in my truck, so i can run my strobes, also i noticed that the truck starts better in the cold weather ....
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

you don't need a gell to use strobes, any battery will work fine- could it be your truck starts better because it's a new battery? Gells don't sulfate which kills acid batts, but properly charged and maintained a lead acid battery is fine.

Incidentaly, JC whitney sells a battery additive- tried it in the last batts- the factory ones that lasted onto 6 years. Seems to work well. My motorcycle battery that normally only lasts 1 season for the electric starter and the second season kick only lasted 3 years electric!
  7. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

wiring dual batteries

I am also considering running dual batteries on a 88 Gmc Suburban, but I 'm not sure how to wire it. DO i need to buy a battery isolator kit from Summit racing, or can I just wire the batteries together? Does anyone have pictures of how to wire together, if so please let me know. Thanks.
  8. john-boy

john-boy Member

Just run your batteries in parallel. Dual terminals seem to work well. Interstate batteries are pretty decent, but request a MHD line from your distibutor, they usually are a higher cca rating with longer reserve time
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  10. BDB

BDB Senior Member

The guy that reparis starters, altenators and the plow pump motors for us says to get deep cycle/starting batteries (like marine batt's). Lots of reserve power. The pump motors use a ton of amps and they have had the best success with those and/or gel batteries.
  11. drplow

drplow Senior Member

Ive had a lot of luck with sears die hard off road battery's. i would get the best one they have. this is for something your going to use all the time and in the cold. your going to get what you paid for with batteries.
  12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Deep cycle battery's will not last in a starting application as long as a starting battery- for the plowing season they will be fine, but the off season will kill them. Deep cycle's NEED to be discharged a certain percentage regularly, and a certain percentage before recharging or their life is shortened.